Buff Cornish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shadowmane, Apr 9, 2012.

1. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the Buff Cornish breed actually exist, or is it a figment of someone's imagination? I know you can get chicks from Ideal Hatchery that are sold as Buff Cornish. Has anyone raised any of these? Are they really Buff Cornish, or something else marketed as Buff Cornish?

Are there any breeders out there that have this breed? How would one find them? I have exhausted my search-fu trying to find information on this breed, but it seems to be a mystery. I would really like to find a source for them. I would like to add some to my flock, and perhaps begin breeding them.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Yep, there are a Buff Cornish, accepted in the APA Standard of Perfection in 2010. I don't breed them, or no any breeders, sorry.

3. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    Sandhill Preservation has them in their catalog -- I bought some last year to infuse into my Buff Chantecler. I'm working on the Buff Chantecler improvement project -- they need to be bigger with tighter feathers. Sandhill Preservation lists them as a "project bird" and I would agree -- they don't have the type of other Cornish. Of my 20+ chicks, I ended up with 4 pullets but 3 left now. Most of the roosters were red, not buff. I kept one rooster and now have 3 pullets and the rooster. Two of the pullets have white in their tails. They are heavy for their size, and they will improve the weight of the Chanteclers, but you would need to infuse either red or white cornish for type -- it would be a project to get back to buff.

Becky

4. PineHill4488

PineHill4488 New Egg

Apr 23, 2015
    NE ARK
    I got 25 Buff Cornish, straight run, from Ideal Poultry the last week of March 2015. At 4 1/2 weeks they are doing well, color is promising, growth is heritage pace : ). I highly recommend, will follow-up when they start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by