1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Dewlap Toulouse Thread

Discussion in 'Geese' started by aoxa, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Miss Lyida, Luna was a slip. She was a normal toulouse I hatched just before the dewlap toulouse. I was very close to her, as she was a lone hatch the day after my dad died, and so I hung out holding Luna all week. She was killed at age 2 or 3 months in a very bad windstorm (60+ mph) when the wind blew openn the door I kept all the young geese in. She and my biggest buff and a duck all got caught in the wind, and blown over and over and were found dead against the fence, about 150 ft away. In my mind, Baby Girl must be replacing her. I was so surprised I called her that, and I corrected it right away, but not before you caught me!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry Marty I do remember when you posted about that happening just didn't catch the name. They do give us much comfort.

3. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

She pretty, Celtic.

Miss Lydia, the Africans were here that day. They were either faster, aggresive enough, or smart enough to avoid trouble. Actually, most of the uninjured took refuge under my kitchen porch. I didn't know at first if they were eaten or escaped somehow. The geese and ducks hid out, and whoever didn't hide or defend themselves died for the most part.

4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Marty, very pleased to hear that major progress was made at vet clinic today. Sounds like your vet is pretty good. Go Baby Go! [​IMG]

5. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I don't know if he called your vet or not, but he did take my notes, and read them. He kept them, so I don't know if he called him or not.

6. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    It sounds like your vet did everything possible and didn't need to call Scott. But if he does, Scott will probably let me know afterward. She's fought this long and with the obstruction removed, heavy hitting meds, and your continued care, I'm feeling more optimistic than I was earlier. [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Just stopped by to see how Baby's been, and read this. It makes me so mad, I can't imagine how you felt hearing that. I hope the police actually do something about it, and get a move on pressing charges. Were the owners even notified of what their dogs had done before they were picked up?
    Glad she's still fighting. We're all pulling for her to be fine. [​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Marty, please dont forget to rest and take care of yourself too. Weoften forget when caring for another who is ill that we too need to be taken care of so we can be at our best. Have you tried pureed pumpkin with her yet?

9. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Yes, I'll try (as she laughes and shakes her head). I'll tell you all about tonight, but you may be pressed to believe me. Let me preface by saying I live in a very old house, and very queer things happen from time to time.

I'm in the bathroom guarding duck and goose, who are in the tub. Between my bedtime visit and now, something turned on their water. (quite a trick, its hard to turn my ancient handles) After I got the tub drained, new blankets in the bottem, space heater on the birds, I washed my hands. As I walked away, the water turned on again. Now, I'm here guarding birds at 3:32, going on 2 hours now. If I wern't out of duct tape, those faucets wouldn't be an issue again tonight.

Not a happy camper at all. Not at all. Its just one stupid thing after another. I told DH what happened, and he came down to see. My whole floor is wet, and the basement is wet, and the birds are wet, and I'm grumpy.

I think I need a vacation.[​IMG]

On the good side, Baby is making some goose noises! That alone makes it worth sitting here. A little WONK now and then from the tub, after days and days of quiet, is beautiful music.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  10. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I want to heartily thank each and every one of you for your prayers, comforting words, honest appraisels, and general good will toward me and my sweet Baby Girl and Lucky. If nothing else, you've sustained me, however I think your prayes also help immensely.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by