Buff in the nesting box for 15 hours!!!

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Great description of a broody hen! Fluffy pancake, ha, I love it!

Do you want her to hatch chicks? If so does she have actual fertile eggs u der her? If not, Put her in a dog cage set on brick blocks for 3 days without bedding of any kind, just food and water. Most people will remove the tray and position the cage upsidedown so smaller wire is on the bottom. I've left the tray in place. The only problem was I had to clean up poop.

Most people will remove the tray and position the cage upsidedown so smaller wire is on the bottom.
In this case put the tray on top and bungie it in place, or they may be able to get out.

I've got crates rigged with added 1x2 cage mesh on the bottom.
Then you can put the tray under the crate to catch poops without them standing in it.
Was some effort to set them up, but they sure work good and very handy to have!
Pics in this article show added mesh floor and a broody breaker set up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

Do you want her to hatch chicks? If so does she have actual fertile eggs u der her? If not, Put her in a dog cage set on brick blocks for 3 days without bedding of any kind, just food and water. Most people will remove the tray and position the cage upsidedown so smaller wire is on the bottom. I've left the tray in place. The only problem was I had to clean up poop.
NO!!! No hatching chicks. We lucked out with our purchases and got ALL pullets!!! This will break her of her broodiness???

It appears that she might be broody. Years ago when I had my BO's, they went broody quite often. I would take them out of the nest boxes and they would growl at me and puff up and as soon as my back was turned they would get right back in. They were persistent.

Up she's broody

Thank you all!!!Can one really break a hen from being broody? I was told by a customer of mine today that one cannot. I work in a grain mill. I love love love my girls!!!And this site!!! <3

Back
Top Bottom