Buff / Lavender Mix creating Blue Cuckoo Silkie? Updated photos.

it's a partridge barring, not cuckoo barring.

DSCF5162.jpg

Im sorry but I would have to say your wrong on that one. Thats what I thought at first too but the barring is all over the bird. Legs, feet, tail, even head. Partridge birds only have it on the wings.

Last edited:
Quote:
As chicks, many partridges will have the barring all over the body, not just confined to the wings. I agree, the feathering on that chick looks like more of a grey pattern than a cuckoo or barred.

Quote:
Oh. Well the problem with silkies is that you cant see much skin. Even when you move a feather to the side there is so many feathers on bearded silkies that very little skin is noticable.

I will look today on the feet. Thats about the only spot I will be able to find skin showing well enough. The bottom of the feet and the 3 toes that are showing with out feathers. Is those spots acceptable to find the spots your talking about?

Quote:
As chicks, many partridges will have the barring all over the body, not just confined to the wings. I agree, the feathering on that chick looks like more of a grey pattern than a cuckoo or barred.

It may very well be. But from all the chicks Ive ever seen that were with partridge patteration. They were chipmunk patterned as a baby. This one wasn't, It was as clear as clear gets with its color. And that color was blue. That's what I thought the chick was - a blue silkie when I first got it.. And thats another thing. Ive never seen a grey in the blue color. All of those I've ever seen where whiteish grey marked, kind of smokey looking. Rather then blueish looking.

Last edited:
Oh and also Im not claiming its anything. Im trying my best, with help, to acctually tell what it is. cuckoo, mottled (as someone has mentioned), or just a funky looking bird. Either way its a mystery to me and some other silkie breeders who's opinion I trust.

Quote:
Oh. Well the problem with silkies is that you cant see much skin. Even when you move a feather to the side there is so many feathers on bearded silkies that very little skin is noticable.

I will look today on the feet. Thats about the only spot I will be able to find skin showing well enough. The bottom of the feet and the 3 toes that are showing with out feathers. Is those spots acceptable to find the spots your talking about?

They are random.. the barring gene actually prohibit the dark/ black skin on silkies...

I see if I can find a close up pic on one of mine later..

Back
Top Bottom