Buff Minorca: Mochi or Loki?

Mochi (pullet) or Loki (cockerel)?

• Total voters

Shaycres

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Hi! I have a Buff Minorca who's four and a half months old. By this point in time I think I have most of my chickens accurately sexed - but I'm stumped on this one! I know Minorcas have big combs and I think that's throwing me off. I saw another thread with one around the same age and it was much more mottled in its coloring than mine, and most agreed it was a cockerel. What do you guys think?
0927191902.jpg
0927191902b.jpg
0927191902c.jpg
0927191902d.jpg
0927191902h.jpg

Hi! I have a Buff Minorca who's four and a half months old. By this point in time I think I have most of my chickens accurately sexed - but I'm stumped on this one! I know Minorcas have big combs and I think that's throwing me off. I saw another thread with one around the same age and it was much more mottled in its coloring than mine, and most agreed it was a cockerel. What do you guys think?
View attachment 1919837 View attachment 1919842 View attachment 1919844 View attachment 1919845 View attachment 1919847

what did she look like at 2 months old? I have one almost 8 weeks and she is so much bigger than my RIR chick it’s hard to tell if she’s a she. :) maybe it’s still too early to tell?

4DEF416D-96E3-4AD9-93BD-2A122C09E945.jpeg

I have a 9.5 week old that looks similar - I thought yours had a redder comb, but zooming in it looks more pink, like mine. I’m guessing pullet. I’m hoping to have one mis-sexed chick, since my mystery chick didn’t survive shipping, but looks like I’m out of luck.

My buff minorca is the smallest of my 6 chicks. Much smaller than my black minorca. I also have an andalusian, cream legbar, true blue whiting, and crevecour. The photo is from a week ago, when she was 8 weeks old
53CF28EF-FAEF-4417-ACEF-587F21D9097D.jpeg

I have a 9.5 week old that looks similar - I thought yours had a redder comb, but zooming in it looks more pink, like mine. I’m guessing pullet. I’m hoping to have one mis-sexed chick, since my mystery chick didn’t survive shipping, but looks like I’m out of luck.

My buff minorca is the smallest of my 6 chicks. Much smaller than my black minorca. I also have an andalusian, cream legbar, true blue whiting, and crevecour. The photo is from a week ago, when she was 8 weeks old View attachment 2225180
Yours are adorable! Well, my little buff Minorca turned out to be a boy. He is gorgeous and has matured very quickly. At 10 weeks he started trying to crow. 😆 pretty cute.

Yours are adorable! Well, my little buff Minorca turned out to be a boy. He is gorgeous and has matured very quickly. At 10 weeks he started trying to crow. 😆 pretty cute.

My buff minorca is the smallest of my 6 chicks. Much smaller than my black minorca. I also have an andalusian, cream legbar, true blue whiting, and crevecour. The photo is from a week ago, when she was 8 weeks old View attachment 2225180
Also, I think another sign is the patchiness of the feathers. His feathers look pretty different then most of the girls at this age.

EE0078F6-208B-4CE0-A21E-7F9FAD7979D1.png

Back
Top Bottom