Buff opprington has a rattling chest

Amy caldwell

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
My buff opprington has hatched some chicks.. she has now got a cold and her chest is rattling really bad.. she can't really cluck her chicks back as you can't hear over the rattling.
Is there anything I can give her to get over the rattling?

Sounds like she has more than just a cold.
Can you get her to a vet?

My buff opprington has hatched some chicks.. she has now got a cold and her chest is rattling really bad.. she can't really cluck her chicks back as you can't hear over the rattling.

I have had great success using a product called Vetrx. You can buy a bottle of it at Tractor Supply for about $9 or less. It is a blend of oils, but it has cleared up all kinds of sneezes and coughs in my girls. I simply put a few drops around their nostrils, on their comb, and on their wattles. I usually seem improvement in a day or so. Might be worth a try before you take her to the vet. Best of luck!

Vetrx is very similar to the humans version of Vick vapor rub.
You may need antibiotics to cure her.

I agree, sometimes antibiotics are necessary. But if we can intervene with less invasive measures, it's always a good idea. I have a turkey hen I named Wheezy, because she always wheezed from the time I purchased her. It was my first turkey purchase at the time so I didn't realize she was ill. She was thin and didn't come into lay when her sister did. I tried two different rounds of oral antibiotics, and neither worked. I was using the Vetrx on another hen and I figured I'd try it on Wheezy. Within three days, no more wheezing! She is Wheezy only in name. She has since started to lay and is now co-raising some chicks for me.

Just wanted to share, this stuff has been like a miracle for me. :hugs

Check her crop to see if it could have a problem-- feel it to check if it is empty, full, hard, soft, or puffy. Sometimes a puffy crop or sour crop that is not functioning well can cause rattling in the throat. If there is coughing or wheezing, or nasal or eye drainage, then it is more likely a respiratory disease. Those can be caused by viruses, bacteria, and mold fungus. Make sure that she is able to care for the chicks, or you may need to put them in a brooder, and care for the broody hen as well.

I'll check her crop today to see if it's any of the above of what you say. She is wheezing a bit but no coughing.. she's looking after her chicks well and is taking them over to get food and water but it's just the wheezing pulling her energy levels down a bit.

I have had great success using a product called Vetrx. You can buy a bottle of it at Tractor Supply for about $9 or less. It is a blend of oils, but it has cleared up all kinds of sneezes and coughs in my girls. I simply put a few drops around their nostrils, on their comb, and on their wattles. I usually seem improvement in a day or so. Might be worth a try before you take her to the vet. Best of luck!
Thankyou I'll have a look at that.

Thankyou I'll have a look at that and will tell you my results!

Back
Top Bottom