buff orp hen keeps falling over, droopy wings, yellow poo, eating very little

prov31gal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
over the mountain
she is about 4 years old. no other chickens are sick. i thought she was being deprived of food , as she is at the bottom of the pecking order.
we brought her in, and she just stands in the cage, falls over alot, barely eats or drinks. she seems to have watry poo. wings are hanging down, she looks bad, but has been hanging on like this for almost a week. occasionally she looks liek she has perked up, but it doesnt last. she has not layed in all this time either. im thinking we will have to put her down this evening when my DH comes home. any ideas?

I just had a hen pass away with the exact same symptoms. I thought it was worms, but the rest are all fine. I wormed them all to be safe.. I am really not sure.. Just know you are not alone :(

My girl held on for 3 weeks like this before passing away. She lost a lot of weight. She was my very favourite hen. I will miss her so much (she passed away Tuesday this week).

yes, this one is our kids favorite hen too. its one with a name, sweet heart, becaus she sits on your lap outside. i really would have used a .22 by now, but my kids are so attached to this one. she was a good broody too.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It sounds to me....and this is IMO....but It would be best to put her down. I am so sorry......I do think she is in pain... as some diseases are very bad. Yes It can effect children deeply. I have an almost 15 yr old girl... she insists (when younger) to name the animals we have had. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]we raised 4 pigs from babies and other animals as well.....and she named them all. (She has also named our chickens) I am sure she will name the new baby goat that was born this week also.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]we sold some and kept some. the ones we kept are now in our freezer. She has also learned from this. we do not shelter her as far as life and death issues. Because she will have to face death sooner or later...I would prefere she learned it from me rather than learning from my death.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have always told her they will be used for food. or if they would get sick or hurt they could die. life isn't always easy for us or our children. I do think your children are stronger than we think and if you explain that.... this is whats best for our suffering animals then they will understand. No... they won't like it very well but they will accept it. [/FONT]

I am so sorry.

oh my kids know all about the reason we keep chickens, and they have seen them butchered and all that, they arent sheltered. they dont all get names, but some really good laying hens get to be pretty loved after brooding chicks and providing eggs over the years. those are the ones who usually get names. i keep saying to my 2 oldest girls, 13 and 10, that we rally do need to shoot it because it isnt getting better, but its mostly my 10 year old who wants us to try to get it better. just wondered if anyone knew what it could be, and if they knew what we could do before i use the .22.

Sounds like Coccidia and possibly worms. first of all, she should be treated with corid. Give her vitamins and minerals plus cooked eggs for protein. Also greens are beneficial . Keep her separate from the others, someplace warm. Good luck. If she survives the cocci, then deworm her or use something mild like Wazine.

She cant stand up anymore, and wont eat or drink, were going to put her down. thanks for your advice everyone.i dont think i can really do anything else for her.

Hi,
One of my hens has the same problem at the moment, I took my hen to a vet yesterday, she explained its a virus, and the virus stops the brain function that tells the legs and wings to move.
The vet gave the hen some antibiotics, this was administered by injection. The vet also stated there is a 80% survival chance. If there is no improvement by the end the beginning of next week then we will have to have her put to sleep. If there is improvement then she will have another injection of antibiotics.

So before you have yours put to sleep maybe antibiotics might help.
The vet also assured me the hen is no pain at all.

Regard
ChrisT

Back
Top Bottom