buff orp is pecking at the side of the brooder constantly!!!!

missrose

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
Mesa, AZ
my week old buff orpington has been pecking at the plastic on the side of the brooder constantly!!!! It has been hard to sleep with all the racket. she is eating and dirnking normal, but I have no idea why she is doing this
hu.gif
any advice?

Quote:
Cause she's a buff orp, and yer caging her in, man!!

lau.gif
seriously, my Buff Orps love to wander (sometimes too darn far) and she is probably just a restless chickie who wants to spread her horizons.

Maybe try putting something else in there for her to peck at to keep her mind off the walls closing in on her?

meri

I have 3 day old chickens in there with her, and they follow her around, jump over the roost, and keep her busy but when they dont want to play, she pecks at the wall.
maybe just an odd chickie
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Probably
big_smile.png
I have two or three who wander VERY far (one of them is named AWOL because she keeps trying to go into the road - which is 1/4 mile down the driveway)

some chickens just get that wanderlust and hate to be cooped up - gonna have to watch that one when she is older, she'll be the one off by herself in the woods or the road getting into trouble.

maybe you could pad the sides of the brooder with something to deaden the noise?

meri

Just curious, can it see out at eye level? I learned a long time ago if there is a window in the side of the brooder there is less boredom and wall pecking.

Marty

Back
Top Bottom