Buff Orp. Sudden eye issue with no other symptoms?

eeames

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Hi all!

Within the past few hours, one of my buff orpington pullets (7.5 weeks old) has an issue with one of her eyes. Her behavior otherwise is totally normal (energetic, pecking, drinking water, normal poop) and she does not have any discharge. They eye makes me think that it is a respiratory illness but I do not want to treat unless thats for sure what it is (they have been working on their pecking order recently, could it be an abrasion on her eye?) It is hard to narrow down because it seems like every health issue includes eye abnormalities.. anything I can do other than wait and monitor her condition?

I have included two photos of the eye that is squinty/strange and one photo of the "healthy" eye. Any advice is appreciated!

** edit to add that this is the most open her eye gets, since she was a little startled by me picking her up. When she is scratching around/eating/drinking, this eye is very squinted, almost closed.

Attachments

• 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's very possible that this is from a peck to or near the eye. I would flush it out well with sterile saline and then use terramycin eye ointment (most tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin 2 -3 times a day in the eye.

Okay thank you! tractor supply is out of terramycin so I will try some neosporin and saline and hope for the best-- will make sure to order terramycin for the future

Hi all!

Within the past few hours, one of my buff orpington pullets (7.5 weeks old) has an issue with one of her eyes. Her behavior otherwise is totally normal (energetic, pecking, drinking water, normal poop) and she does not have any discharge. They eye makes me think that it is a respiratory illness but I do not want to treat unless thats for sure what it is (they have been working on their pecking order recently, could it be an abrasion on her eye?) It is hard to narrow down because it seems like every health issue includes eye abnormalities.. anything I can do other than wait and monitor her condition?

I have included two photos of the eye that is squinty/strange and one photo of the "healthy" eye. Any advice is appreciated!

** edit to add that this is the most open her eye gets, since she was a little startled by me picking her up. When she is scratching around/eating/drinking, this eye is very squinted, almost closed.
How did she get on? Sending wishes.

sorry for the late response! we administered neosporin for 3 days and it cleared right up and she's doing great! such a relief.

Back
Top Bottom