Buff Orpington acting weird (Possibly broody)

PastaChickenBoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
MD
Tofu has been acting somewhat erratically lately. She responds to stimulus (noise and treats, etc.) but she hides underneath places (such as a lawnchair), puffs up her feathers most of the time, and squawks very loudly at random times. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Tofu has been acting somewhat erratically lately. She responds to stimulus (noise and treats, etc.) but she hides underneath places (such as a lawnchair), puffs up her feathers most of the time, and squawks very loudly at random times. Is there anything I should be worried about?
Do you have a video of her? upload to youtube, give us a link

Almost sounds like she's broody to me.

Do you have a video of her? upload to youtube, give us a link

Almost sounds like she's broody to me.
I doubt she's broody, because she spends almost no time in the nesting box. That'd explain why she hid under a chair, though. I'll look into it.
It has been pretty warm lately as well. Maybe that's what caused it?

I doubt she's broody, because she spends almost no time in the nesting box. That'd explain why she hid under a chair, though. I'll look into it.
It has been pretty warm lately as well. Maybe that's what caused it?
If you can get a video that would be great.
Does she seem like she's able to see?

I would check her over for lice/mites, crop issues, etc. just to make sure.
Sometimes a hen may not be what I call "full blown broody" meaning, she's acting "broody" but is not yet "sitting". They "play broody" walk around all fluffed, clucking, carrying on, but they have not committed themselves to the nesting box.

If you can get a video that would be great.
Does she seem like she's able to see?

I would check her over for lice/mites, crop issues, etc. just to make sure.
Sometimes a hen may not be what I call "full blown broody" meaning, she's acting "broody" but is not yet "sitting". They "play broody" walk around all fluffed, clucking, carrying on, but they have not committed themselves to the nesting box.
Her eyesight seems perfectly fine, but I'll check her for crop or mite issues.

Update:
I went outside to put the chickens out and the only chicken not in the run was Tofu. I looked inside the coop and she was sitting on the nest box flattened out like a "chicken pancake". When I tried to move her she growled angrily at me. I moved her off the nest and collected the eggs. I'm pretty sure she's broody.

Update:
I went outside to put the chickens out and the only chicken not in the run was Tofu. I looked inside the coop and she was sitting on the nest box flattened out like a "chicken pancake". When I tried to move her she growled angrily at me. I moved her off the nest and collected the eggs. I'm pretty sure she's broody.
LOL Well, that's good. At least you know she's not sick.
Are you planning on letting her hatch some eggs or giving her any chicks in a couple of weeks? If you have no plans like that, it would be a good idea to break her.

Back
Top Bottom