Chicken with possible damage to beak is wheezing

Dovahgoddess

Chirping
Jan 17, 2024
I'm completely new to chicken keeping and need some help. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with my sweet girl.

1. 8.5month old Buff Orpington that is slightly under weight
2) isolates herself from flock, but still wants to eat, drink, dust bathe, lay eggs etc
3) has been acting off for 3 weeks, separated for past week when she had a blockage in her crop
4) All other birds are unchanged
5) there appears to be a chip on the top of her beak, and clear fluid that drips from her right nostril occasionally, she wheezes after laying an egg or when the fluid is dripping, but is completely fine otherwise
6)3 weeks ago we found her pinned between a cattle panel and the wall of the house. She appeared to recover well from that in around a week so I'm not sure what happened this time
7) she eats very happily anything you give her, currently on Purina flock raiser with occasional vitamins
8) poop is normal
9) fed her mash for a week while crop blockage was passing & brought her indoors to reduce stress

I would like to treat her myself if possible as there are no vets that take chickens where I live. My main goal would be to get her reintroduced to the flock.
She is currently in an xl Dog cage with fine pine bedding. (They try to eat the flake variety) Prior to being brought inside she was in a 20x30 barn with a 10x8x6 coop and large covered run surrounding the barn.

Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated! I love this sweet girl

Attachments

• PXL_20240117_201548421.jpg
    PXL_20240117_201548421.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20240117_201628785.jpg
    PXL_20240117_201628785.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 14
Have you looked into her throat with a strong light to be sure there isn't a foreign body obstructing the throat? A chicken's upper respiratory system is connected all together, nasal and throat. Next, flush her nares out.

To do that, have a narrow oral syringe and a bowl of warm saline solution handy. Wrap the hen in a towel to control wings and feet. Lay her on her side and sluice the salt water into one nare and let it run out the other. Then flip her and do the other nare. If the nares are obstructed, clean them out with a tooth pick that has been sanded and rounded off to remove the sharp tip. Use care as the nares are as delicate as the inside of your nose.

Then flush the nares again after cleaning them out. If any bleeding occurs, dab some antibiotic ointment inside.

Have you looked into her throat with a strong light to be sure there isn't a foreign body obstructing the throat? A chicken's upper respiratory system is connected all together, nasal and throat. Next, flush her nares out.

To do that, have a narrow oral syringe and a bowl of warm saline solution handy. Wrap the hen in a towel to control wings and feet. Lay her on her side and sluice the salt water into one nare and let it run out the other. Then flip her and do the other nare. If the nares are obstructed, clean them out with a tooth pick that has been sanded and rounded off to remove the sharp tip. Use care as the nares are as delicate as the inside of your nose.

Then flush the nares again after cleaning them out. If any bleeding occurs, dab some antibiotic ointment inside.
Checked her throat, no obstruction. Cleaned out both nares, large amount of yellow fluid dripped out. She is breathing hard, but clear and not wheezing/crackly. Going to let her sleep now and check on her in the morning

If there is a little swelling under the eyes, she may have a sinus infection. I've had luck treating that issue with an eye antibiotic - Terramycin. It's available online or from most feed stores.

If there is a little swelling under the eyes, she may have a sinus infection. I've had luck treating that issue with an eye antibiotic - Terramycin. It's available online or from most feed stores.
Do you get the ointment and administer through the eye?

Yes. The eye fluids are directly connected to the sinus fluids. Applying the antibiotic in the eye will get it into the sinus cavity. You only need to treat the eye that corresponds to the swelling, usually just one side is involved in a sinus infection. Use the ointment twice a day until the swelling goes down.

I can't really tell if there's any swelling

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_040537570.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240120_040537570.NIGHT.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240120_040431461.jpg
    PXL_20240120_040431461.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 5
You would notice it if there was sinus swelling. It would appear as an almond size bulge under the eye. If the yellow discharge continues, I would assume infection and start the Terramycin. In the absence of swelling, I would treat both eyes.

You would notice it if there was sinus swelling. It would appear as an almond size bulge under the eye. If the yellow discharge continues, I would assume infection and start the Terramycin. In the absence of swelling, I would treat both eyes.
Will do! How long should I treat the eyes? Can she have probiotics while being treated?

Back
Top Bottom