Buff Orpington Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CarolB865, Jul 24, 2016.

1. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    I have 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 the usual Buff color that are definitely girls and then this light colored one that I'm thinking may be a cockerel? Doesn't really act like any of the other cockerels I've had but the bigger, very pronounced comb and the tail feathers beginning to look different has me wondering. It's 10 weeks old and the only buff with wattles as well and legs like tree trunks! Have I got another boy? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    That isn't a buff Orpington at all! Buff orpingtons no matter the gender should be solid yellow/orange with yellow feet. What breed he actually is- I don't know. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

As for gender, to me personally it looks like an early bloomer pullet. I'm not seeing saddle or hackle feathers, and she stands like a female with a feminine body type.

However, I am no expert so you will definitely need some more opinions!

3. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you! I wondered about it being a buff! Sure didn't look it to me! But the first one to eat out of my hand when it's treat time!

4. Lincy

Lincy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    With those slate legs, I'm thinking an EE mix. It is probably a little roo. He has too much red in the comb and the red patches on his wings.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Those thick legs and red patch of doom on wings = Cockerel. Maybe the camera is just too close to him BUT, looks like he could be crossed with a meat bird or is one. He looks huge (wide)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Mixed breed, possibly with those Buff Orp in there, cockerel

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed cockerel.

If the bird behind it in the pics is another "Orpington", you might want to post pics of it. From what I can see I'm getting and EE vibe, but need better pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by