Buff Orpington Boy or Girl?

CarolB865

Chirping
May 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
I have 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 the usual Buff color that are definitely girls and then this light colored one that I'm thinking may be a cockerel? Doesn't really act like any of the other cockerels I've had but the bigger, very pronounced comb and the tail feathers beginning to look different has me wondering. It's 10 weeks old and the only buff with wattles as well and legs like tree trunks! Have I got another boy?

That isn't a buff Orpington at all! Buff orpingtons no matter the gender should be solid yellow/orange with yellow feet. What breed he actually is- I don't know. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

As for gender, to me personally it looks like an early bloomer pullet. I'm not seeing saddle or hackle feathers, and she stands like a female with a feminine body type.

However, I am no expert so you will definitely need some more opinions!

With those slate legs, I'm thinking an EE mix. It is probably a little roo. He has too much red in the comb and the red patches on his wings.

Those thick legs and red patch of doom on wings = Cockerel. Maybe the camera is just too close to him BUT, looks like he could be crossed with a meat bird or is one. He looks huge (wide)

Mixed breed cockerel.

If the bird behind it in the pics is another "Orpington", you might want to post pics of it. From what I can see I'm getting and EE vibe, but need better pics.

Back
Top Bottom