Buff orpington cockerels or pullets?

islandchick75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
I am so confused about sexing chicks. Mine are almost 6 weeks old, and I am fairly sure i have at least 3 cockerels maybe 4, due to their much larger and redder combs and large red waddles. The ones I believe are pullets have smaller combs and barely visible waddles that are much lighter in color.
I am not sure how to get pictures on here, i tried but they didnt show up....

ok i guess i figured the picture thing out....this one i think is a cockerel?

Its vary hard to sex a chicken at that age my opinion would be just let them get older and what till one starts crowing, I had chickens that looked like roosters at that age but were just hens that looked like one.

I feel your pain! Several years ago when I was stuck in the city I decided to get some city chickens. :) Well.. it took me about 6 tries to actually GET hens! One poor lady sold me 4 older chicks she was certain were pullets.. nope.. three months later I kept hearing this WEIRD sound. Kind of pitiful actually, until the real crow came in. She gladly took it back.. THEN.. a couple of weeks later. .same thing. THREE TIMES. We laughed about it and she was very nice. She said her uncle usually sexed the chickens but he was gone when that batch was born.

Oh well.. Chicken sexing is only sure proof two ways that I know of. One (as above) is hit and miss and takes for-ever.. lol. and the other is counting on the hatchery. (I'm hoping to see if anyone else on here has an inside certain secret for sexing!)

I have 6 Silkie babies right now... waiting... waiting.. lol I don't care tho cause they're cute and tiny! :)

Good luck with yours!

Thanks! The ones i think are cockerels act like it, they are quite brave and like to fight...but i'm still hoping haha! Good luck wih your silkies too!!

Back
Top Bottom