Buff Orpington comb looks funky

PatinOxford

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I have a Buff Orpington hen whose comb looks very odd the last three to four days. She is one of a group of chicks I purchased the first week of March, and has just started to lay. Her comb -- bright red and uniform in color until this started -- has white and black areas, especially around the base. Her wattles are showing some of this too.

She acts normally in all ways so is not systemically ill. Eats, drinks, lays, roosts, forages, everything is normal.

My chickens free-range on our yard of about two acres, and also spend time in the barn with the horses. They are cooped at night. None of the others show any sign of this.

It has been very hot here this past week, to the point that the girls were spending all their time seeking shade and going through their water twice as fast as usual.

Could this be some sort of fungus? With the white being the active fungus, and the black being the damaged area? It reminds me of the aftermath of frostbite. How can I get a diagnosis and treat it? She's not handling-friendly but I can nab her in the coop at night if necessary.

If you could post a picture that would be great. Does it look similar to this?

The bird in that picture has fowl pox, which affects the comb, face, and wattles.

I can try to get a pic, but it doesn't look like that. It looks like ... fungus. Mold. And around the base, not on the whole comb. It's a five hen flock, no contact with other chickens but of course there are songbirds around. The other four girls do not show this.

Back
Top Bottom