Buff Orpington Eggs - When??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MAllen, Sep 29, 2009.

1. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    I have three Buff Orpington pullets that will be 22 weeks old on Oct 3rd, no eggs yet. At what age can I expect them to start laying??

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    mine started at about 23 weeks, but i think everyone is different. it just depends on so many factors.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have a 27 weeker that just started laying this week. Hoping the rest follow soon. [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have two BO hens that just started laying at 27-28 weeks old.. They have been laying really well for two weeks only missed one day.. They were small to start with, but with in three days they are almost at a large egg..

5. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Guess I got lucky my first egg was at 20 weeks (but it was small) and within 3 days I was getting 3-5 eggs a day from 7 hens. I'm amazed on days when I get 7, that everyone of them laid an egg.

6. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

My BO started at about 25 weeks, the lazy scamp! And she only ever laid a maximum of six days out of seven. And was broody within nine weeks. She hatched a single chick after eight weeks (we fought her stubborn broodiness for five weeks before giving up and getting her some fertile eggs) and she started laying again today... the hatch was nine weeks ago! She's a year old at the end of October and will have only laid for a total of twelve weeks in that time, averaging five eggs a week.

So she's not the most prolific egg-layer ever [​IMG]

(She's still my favourite hen though, I'll be honest. So dopey and docile. She loves cuddles!)

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine started at 20 weeks.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    All 4 of mine started at 26-27 weeks. Slackers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by