Buff Orpington Hen (5 months old) Sick

Ace0813

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
Rochester, NH
Hey folks.

We let our hens free range in our backyard during the day. One morning I went to the coop to open it up, and I noticed she was laying on the bottom of the coop splayed out with her legs off to the left, and it seems like she's displaying some sort of paralysis. She had a large amount of normal looking feces underneath her.

I quarantined the bird separate from the flock. I set her up in my garage in a dog crate with food and water. After a day of no improvements, I brought her inside and felt an egg in her vent area. I feared perhaps this was an egg block situation, so I ran a warm bath in the sink for her to try to assist the egg's passing. Eventually the egg did come out into the sink, with some discoloration. I wrapped her up in the towel, and placed her back in the dog crate with her food and water and hoped she'd perk back up this morning.

I checked on her in the garage, and she is still eating and drinking, but she hadn't moved an inch and still is displaying the splayed legs out to the side. Any thoughts as to what this could be? I don't want to have to put down a hen.

The symptoms do bring to mind Marek's. Was she vaccinated for it? Has this pullet been laying previously? If so, were the eggs normal?

Does this pullet free range? Do you have any compost piles? How about machinery such as mowers, old cars, etch leaking fluids onto the ground where this chicken may have been recently?

Have you checked your feed for mold? Has it been rainy and warm? Your location would be helpful I wish everyone would include it in their profiles as it's necessary info for us to have when trying to help people.

The symptoms do bring to mind Marek's. Was she vaccinated for it? Has this pullet been laying previously? If so, were the eggs normal?

Does this pullet free range? Do you have any compost piles? How about machinery such as mowers, old cars, etch leaking fluids onto the ground where this chicken may have been recently?

Have you checked your feed for mold? Has it been rainy and warm? Your location would be helpful I wish everyone would include it in their profiles as it's necessary info for us to have when trying to help people.
I’m in Rochester, NH. She does free range. She’s laid consistently. No issues with eggs other than the double yolks. I believe she was vaccinated for it - I picked her up from Tractor Supply Co in the spring. I think they are quite thorough in their vaccinations.

No compost piles. They’re in a fenced area, but she could technically get access to the mower when they rarely jump the fence.

Exposure to petroleum distillates causes paralysis in older chickens and death in chicks. If there is any oil or gas leakage, it can coat gravel and a chicken can consume it and it quickly causes this sort of damage to the nervous system.

As for Marek's, it's not normally the procedure of corporate feed stores to order vaccinations of chicks they order. Assume your chicks have NOT been vaccinated if you get them from TSC.

Not just yet. Give her vitamin E 400iu plus a sliver of a selenium tablet plus vitamin B complex each day for several days. This may repair nerve damage.

Also, try electrolytes and sugar water in case she's dehydrated. Dehydration and heat stress produce these symptoms also. Do this every hour today if you can.

These measures taken together will determine if she has a correctable condition or if it's Marek's. Be thinking about whether you are able to get a necropsy done on her if you cull. That way you will know if Marek's is in your flock. If one chicken has it, they all do by now.

Most pharmacies and large stores sell human vitamins vitamins—E 400 IU and super B complex. For sugar water, mix 1 tsp of sugar in a quart of water. Electrolytes from TSC or feed stores would contain vitamins, and you can always use Gatorade or Pedialyte for plain electrolytes without vitamins.

Well, her paralysis worsened and she wouldn't eat or drink. I made the difficult decision to cull her. It's the first time I've done anything like that in my life.

Back
Top Bottom