Buff Orpington hen acting quite strange

chicksandchores

Songster
Mar 17, 2019
Middle Tennessee
LONG POST ALERT!! Alright, here goes!
The backstory:
I purchased my first chicks a year ago on the 18th of March. Six months later, at the end of September, one of the buff orpington pullets I had went broody. She sat dutifully through more than a month (naturally I had to confirm she was broody and then the process of setting the eggs I wanted under her took me three days), and because it was the first clutch I had ever hatched, 16 of the 18 eggs were lost due to breakage (I didn't move her from the regular laying nest boxes in the coop), rats, infertility, quitters, and one failure to absorb the yolk sac and finish hatching despite having pipped externally. She was a relatively good, albeit not very feisty or protective, mother; she made sure that her two chicks (bought black copper marans eggs) were warm and got all the yummy things she found, and would even stand up to the roosters for them from time to time. They hatched in October; they were unfortunately snatched by a hawk in I believe January. She was in the process of "kicking them out," and was very obviously traumatized for a while by the loss of her babies. She went back into lay sometime late January or early February, and towards the middle of February I found her sitting diligently on a nest for three consecutive days. I purchased more hatching eggs of a breed I would love to have on Valentine's day and sat her that night on a separate box with 15 eggs; a dozen Lavender Ameraucana and three of our barnyard mixes. The problem was, she was too close to her old nest and because she was constantly stressed about abandoning that nest it pushed her to abandon the new nest, which was of course a total loss. She went back into lay the day before I gave up on her hatching those eggs and that's when I knew she was truly done.

All this being said, it's time for the real question!
I have 2 black and one blue copper marans chicks that are fully fledged and living with the flock but are nearing the age her two were when she lost them. I am also brooding 25 chicks of assorted breeds outdoors in an xl wire dog crate that I keep a heat lamp in and keep covered at night or during inclement weather. Sometime in the middle of last week I began leaving the door to the crate open, but blocked enough that my larger guys and gals couldn't get in, so the month old babies could roam and get used to the bigger chickens being around them. Over the past couple of days, I have noticed my BO mama growling at other hens and both of my roos if any of them come close to her or try to tread her, and she's puffing out all her feathers and getting into her defensive stance she did when off the nest or when with her chicks. She's not setting, she's not even offered to stay on the nest overnight. She wants absolutely nothing to do with the babies from what I can tell. I'm at a loss as to what could be going on!

Some hens can go broody, but they don't set. I call them walking broodies. I break them the same as those that are setting.

You gave your hen too many eggs to set in the past which can cause a poor hatch rate because all eggs can't be covered correctly or turned correctly. A standard hen us best with around 8 eggs give or take for a better hatch rate.

Some hens can go broody, but they don't set. I call them walking broodies. I break them the same as those that are setting.

You gave your hen too many eggs to set in the past which can cause a poor hatch rate because all eggs can't be covered correctly or turned correctly. A standard hen us best with around 8 eggs give or take for a better hatch rate.
I will definitely keep that in mind when setting her the next time she decides to set, if she does - I sure hope so! As for now, would you recommend breaking her or does it hinder her living any to be a walking broody?

I will definitely keep that in mind when setting her the next time she decides to set, if she does - I sure hope so! As for now, would you recommend breaking her or does it hinder her living any to be a walking broody?
I find it irritating so I generally break them. The good thing about them is they keep eating and moving around. The bad thing is they are grumpy and start fights as you have seen. So you can do whatever you think is best for your flock.

sat her that night on a separate box with 15 eggs;
Move them before you give them fertile eggs.

As for the walking broody...have seen this in a serial brooder I had last year.
Not sure I'd try to break her until she really settles into a nest as she may 'get over it'.
How do you break them?

My Broody Blurb:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, doesn't she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

Update: roughly two days ago, I had my entire flock penned up because the day before I got TWO eggs from twelve laying age ladies. I came home to a very angry, screechy, growling Nala the Orpington (the walking broody in question) sitting firmly on six of nine eggs. I have my hands full right now with trying to keep my alpha rooster from being so overly romantic (read on another post that the see no touch method for a few days will calm them down some) before he injures another hen, and brooding other chicks. Since these two things are occupying both of the dog cages I have, I’m going to leave her to her own devices and let her hatch however many are fertile (from the way Henry acts, they should ALL be firtile!) and that make it all the way through! Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom