Buff Orpington hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CourtneyBowman, Nov 15, 2016.

1. CourtneyBowman

CourtneyBowman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    I have 4 of these girls, hopefully lol but this one has a bit bigger and brighter comb than the rest. They are about 18 weeks old. I have a rooster in with them, so I'm hoping this one stays a female lol any ideas? What are saddle feathers?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That is a pullet.

Saddle feathers are the feathers that go from about middle back to the tail. On cockerels and rooster they are long and pointy. Pullets and hens have short, round saddle feathers.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like a female to me.

[​IMG]See the difference

4. CourtneyBowman

Aug 20, 2016
    Awesome! Thank you!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet actually hackle feathers are around the neck, saddle feathers are just before the tail. They are rounded at the ends for girls, and pointed for boys.

6. CourtneyBowman

Aug 20, 2016
    Good to know. So maybe she is just maturing before the others? Her face is a lot redder than the others. And her comb is bigger. They are all allowing turning red though. How soon after they mature could I expect to see eggs? They are 18 weeks now

7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You could get eggs within the next month, but don't be surprised if it takes a little longer. Earliest I'd say is about two more weeks. They still have a little filling out to do.

8. CourtneyBowman

Aug 20, 2016
    Awesome! They just finished a round of tetracycline, so I wouldn't be able to eat the eggs for the next 21 days anyway. So a month sounds great to be lol i would HATE to have to throw out my very first egg :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by