BUff Orpington lays a pink egg. Is this common?

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
I was kinda surprised, I thought they were brown egg layers She has a comb that is thick is at the base and sort of ruffly, not a straight single comb like our AuLorp. She does look like a BO otherwise and has a BO personality. The AULrop lays a medium brown egg and our EE that lays a light brown egg, so it's definitely pink compared to the other two.

Just curious!

Phyllis

Phyllis, I've always had one breed at a time. Or at least, always over the last few decades. Now, I've got Australorps and Barred Rocks to compare. I've had both these breeds in the past and a couple of Buff Orpington hens.

I didn't have them at the same time but I thought that the BO's had the same color eggs as my little flocks of Black Australorps I had both before and after.

My thinking about comparisons has changed. I thought Barred Rocks had darker brown eggs than the BA's & BO's. Imagine my surprise when one BR began laying every bit as light an egg as I'd expect from those others. Then the other BR layed a mottled egg - brown & pink. She still does that now and then but it is usually brown.
To add to my confusion, the BA's lay eggs that are darker than the BR's! I don't know whether it is a difference in birds or a failing of memory
old.gif
. Since I want to give myself as much credit as possible, I'll say that the birds are different. Within a certain amount of range, I think that egg color can vary widely in a breed.

Steve

I too thought buff orpingtons laid light brown eggs, but we have 2 reds, two easter Eggers and 2 buff orpingtons and we thought it must be one of our Easter Eggers laying the pinkish color eggs, but we just witnessed that it is one of our buff orpingtons laying it. Is is slightly light brownish but it definitely has a pink hue to it. More pink we think than brown. Interesting.

I too thought buff orpingtons laid light brown eggs, but we have 2 reds, two easter Eggers and 2 buff orpingtons and we thought it must be one of our Easter Eggers laying the pinkish color eggs, but we just witnessed that it is one of our buff orpingtons laying it. Is is slightly light brownish but it definitely has a pink hue to it. More pink we think than brown. Interesting.
On that note though one of our other chickens 1st and only egg so far was a very x large green egg. But whichever chicken that was must have been traumatized by the size of the egg, lol, because it hadnt laid a 2nd egg in going on 4 days now

So happy to find this post! I've got a sweet fluffy Buff Orpington that always lays pinkish eggs too! They're just so pretty & finding these beautiful little works of art each day always make me smile! Here's a pic! The Buff's egg is to the farthest right and I'd say more pink - than brown. The green & blue eggs are Easter Eggers, browns are from the Australorps & Reds. I used no filter or adjustments w/ the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    590.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom