Buff Orpington or Cuckoo Maran...a good substitute?

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
New chicken keeper ...
Was supposed to pick up a cream brabanter today but it was DOA sadly. I have the option to pick up a buff orpington or a cuckoo maran instead to round out my flock (3 Easter eggers, 1 black australorp, 1 welsummer, 1 barnevelder, 1 speckled sussex)

or I can wait and see if the next shipment of brabanters comes in at the end of the month, but then I will have to get two (and that’s more chickens than I want /can’t fit)

Sooooo would either of the other birds be a good substitute or should I just wait it out and see if I can get what I originally wanted?

I want friendly, pretty, a good layer but doesn’t need to be the best production, needs to be both heat and cold tolerant since I live in Pennsylvania, and I want the food they eat/eggs they produce ratio to be good. Thx.

(they also had a white brahma and some Cochin but I don’t know if I want to deal with the feathery feet)

Last edited:
Can you tell me more about their personalities?
They are sweet and cuddly. They are supper fluffy and soft. They run over to you and beg for cuddles. They are sweet and docile and tend to not be very flighty (of course, like with every breed, there are exceptions.) Mine love to sit on my lap or perch on my shoulder.

New chicken keeper ...
Was supposed to pick up a cream brabanter today but it was DOA sadly. I have the option to pick up a buff orpington or a cuckoo maran instead to round out my flock (3 Easter eggers, 1 black australorp, 1 welsummer, 1 barnevelder, 1 speckled sussex)

or I can wait and see if the next shipment of brabanters comes in at the end of the month, but then I will have to get two (and that’s more chickens than I want /can’t fit)

Sooooo would either of the other birds be a good substitute or should I just wait it out and see if I can get what I originally wanted?

I want friendly, pretty, a good layer but doesn’t need to be the best production, needs to be both heat and cold tolerant since I live in Pennsylvania, and I want the food they eat/eggs they produce ratio to be good. Thx.

(they also had a white brahma and some Cochin but I don’t know if I want to deal with the feathery feet)
I do happen to love orpingtons! I currently have 5 lavender orpingtons in my flock, and have had buffs in the past. They do meet all of your requirements- friendly, pretty, and good layers! We also live in MN, so super cold! And the orpingtons haven’t had many problems with the cold, besides a few frost bitten combs which weren’t too terrible.

Back
Top Bottom