Buff Orpington Pullets actually Cockerels?

pine_lore

Chirping
May 18, 2021
Orange County, NY
Hi All,

About 8 weeks ago I brought home 6 chicks - all (supposedly) pullets. I have 4 sex-linked (2 ISA Browns + 2 Black Stars) and 2 Buff Orpingtons. As they've grown, it's clear that at least one of the BOs is actually a Cockerel. He's started crowing so yea, I certainly have at least one boy! However, I'm concerned I've won the BO Rooster lottery: I think my second BO may also be a cockerel.

Below I'll share images of these two birds (confirmed cockerel and suspected cockerel). I'd love to get the opinions of some experts here!

I guess what throws me off is that the Suspected Cockerel hasn't shown any signs of crowing. That being said, Suspected Cockerel does tend to be a bit more aggressive than the rest of the birds.

Confirmed Cockerel (he started crowing last week)
Bird1_1.jpg

Suspected Cockerel(?)
Bird2_1.jpg

Suspected Cockerel on Left, Confirmed Cockerel on Right
Birds_1.jpg

Confirmed Cockerel on Left, Suspected Cockerel on Right
Birds_2.jpg

I agree, both are cockerels. Onset of crowing isn't a good indicator. They can crow anywhere between a couple weeks old and close to a year old, it's very individual. My Orpingtons from last year, the first one started crowing at less than 2 months old, and the last at 5 months old, and they all hatched together.

Back
Top Bottom