buff orpington/rhode island red cross

So far I've only hatched out a young roo and a young hen from my BO roo and RIR hen and I'm very pleased with the results. The young hen is very broody in her first summer of laying eggs, although her eggs are not as large as a RIR's. Her brother is very nice, not as assertive as a full blood RIR roo. I took pics today as the rain finally quit after about a week's worth of it and will have to download and post. I like the coloring on the roo, his sister has become a bit sunbleached as most the summer was dry and sunny. BTW, one of my BO hen's hatched out her first brood and the halfbreed's mother, the RIR hen was very good with the BO chicks today who left the nest and took a walk in the yard w/their mama, all day long. The ducks were also very nice to the chicks, I think because one of the Cayuga ducks hatched out one of the BO chicks but I took it away after it was three days old and gave it to the BO hen with her other 9 chicks as I was afraid the ducks would try to teach the BO chick to swim.

I did this cross in the spring. RIR roo over Buff Orp hens. The chicks were big, beautiful, and ginger colored. They feathered in more like Orps, and had great temperments. I sold them before they started laying- but I'd have to say it was my favorite hybrid.
big_smile.png

here they are with an EE:
28521_gingerchix.jpg

Last edited:
I have a single RIR x BO pullet. For the longest time I thought this bird was the world's most timid cockeral because of early comb development. I almost rehomed the bird, but have been very glad I haven't. She has the buff orp soft feathering and body shape and is a similar color to Speckled's Meg. Surprisingly, she lays the lightest colored egg of all my girls. I think as she gets older (March 2009 hatch) she will develop more lacing and be one of my prettiest birds. Her temperament is definitely BO, and she is my most timid bird, and shaping up to be the largest.

Here is my BO, RIR cross hen. She was an orphan left over from a neighbor's hatch project, and she is red, so we call her Annie
smile.png
. She has the profile of a buff orpington, and you can see the fluffy butt comparison is very similar. I think her coloring is gorgeous, she looks like what I pictured the little red hen from that story would look like. You can see the pretty sheen her feathers have in the last picture.

Temperment wise I'de say she's a little less holdable than the BO's, she makes a weird "bok bok bok!" noise like she's afraid when I pick her up. But she's a good buddy, she likes to hang out on my shoulders, lets me kiss her beak, and eats out of my hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom