Buff Orpington Roo and EE hens.....

sahensle

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Texas
Is it OK to have a buff Orpington rooster and the rest of the flock be Easter Egger hens? I know Orpingtons grow to be large birds and my EEs seem to be smaller. Will this work?

I had Orpingtons and other chickens together. The Orpington rooster was the one I kept and had no problem with Leghorn hens, I think EEs are larger than my brown leghorns. If he is nice to you, keep him! But the chicks from them will lay greenish brown eggs . . . and be bigger and tastier!

I had Orpingtons and other chickens together. The Orpington rooster was the one I kept and had no problem with Leghorn hens, I think EEs are larger than my brown leghorns. If he is nice to you, keep him! But the chicks from them will lay greenish brown eggs . . . and be bigger and tastier!

He is semi nice. I'm on the fence about keeping him. He respects me but is constantly testing me.

I have a buffington rooster and once in awhile his crown as I call it will turn a little black on top and he acts weird then it goes back to red. Is that a problem.

I have a buffington rooster and once in awhile his crown as I call it will turn a little black on top and he acts weird then it goes back to red. Is that a problem.
Is it really hot when that happens? Is the beak open too, panting? They use their comb like a radiator to cool down, could be he is too hot.

He is semi nice. I'm on the fence about keeping him. He respects me but is constantly testing me.
They are smart. Bribe him with treats & he might learn to tolerate you. Get his attention & call him, give him crickets or something else special when he comes over to you, from the other side of the fence if you have to!

My Roo BO is the greatest. Totally in charge...totally, but treats the hens well and likes everybody. Huge chicken. I mean huge and he isn't quite 6 months yet. Have Cherry egger hens as well and all get along. He was raised with lots of human contact.

My Roo BO is the greatest. Totally in charge...totally, but treats the hens well and likes everybody. Huge chicken. I mean huge and he isn't quite 6 months yet. Have Cherry egger hens as well and all get along. He was raised with lots of human contact.
Lots of times when I would give mine treats, he would give it to his favorite hen. Always the same hen, too. They are not as smart as parrots, but they are smarter than you think, sometimes!

I am constantly amazed at how intelligent these birds are. I tried to do a lot of reading prior to picking out what I wanted. Everything I read was glowing about the BOs . From egg production and temperament and the great roosters too! I haven't been disappointed. I know a lot of it is breed and genetics. I am coming to think a great great deal of it goes toward how we raise them. Like anything....you get out what you put in.

Back when I thought they were all hens.....(insert head nod here)......Maynard was the one jumping on the water and food feeder in the brooder. Jumping on my finger the whole bit. The only one. As he grew and grew and grew.....he started to watch out for the girls and there is a fight as to who gets to roost next to him now. Frankly he looks a little overwhelmed at times. Constant scanning....constantly on alert...constantly checking on the hens. One of the hens finally started laying and singing the egg song. He sits on the stoop staring at her....."everything ok?....should I be doing something?". Just a great rooster and anything that bores its way into my coop or run is going to have a fight on its hands.

If it wasn't for this place and the step by step hand holding I got at the beginning....I wouldn't be in the place I am in.

Back
Top Bottom