Buff Orpington roo on Cuckoo Marans sex linked questions

Well, you can get ground colour (slver or gold) leakage on E/E, but the dot shows that the bird will be barred: have white bars across the feathers. These bars are areas where the feathers have no pigment. If the dot is something other than white, it does not indicate barring.
:thumbsup I found this really cool. My barred rock rooster was the father of all of my chicks early in the season. I have a pullet that came from my barred rock rooster as the father, and my RSL hen as the mother. Chick was pure white with a black dot where a barred chick would have their white dot. It's brother was typically barred.
ae5512c2.jpg
It's like the colours were inverted.
_MG_5150.jpg
Fully grown, she is an off white with ghost like barring. Also have a rooster out of the mix who has ghost barring and a couple random regular barred feathers in his tail and fluff.
_MG_5898.jpg
and one more girl that is completely white and no visible ghost barring (yet).
_MG_5891.jpg

Silver Or Gold is not expressed on Extended black background, any cream or white regions found on E chicks(Extended Black) including the headspot(barring) is only representing the delayed migration of aumelanoblasts not an expression of S or s+

Interesting. Are you sure? I don't have a strong background in the genetics, but it looks like silver and gold Cuckoo Marans are ER not E (extended black).

See this thread: http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94788&page=1. (You can ignore the photo posted in the linked thread by GSC, it is not a golden Cuckoo).

Well, you can get ground colour (slver or gold) leakage on E/E,.
my post was concerning E/E chick down, E/E chick down cant show leakage

It's like the colours were inverted.
_MG_5150.jpg

Fully grown, she is an off white with ghost like barring..

I love the ghost barring look of that hen, and I beg that you place more pics of her...
tongue.png

Are you sure? I don't have a strong background in the genetics, but it looks like silver and gold Cuckoo Marans are ER not E (extended black).
I´m always sure before I post anything, gold/silver cuckoo are indeed based on ER e allele, BUT the plain old "cuckoo" Maran are based on E..

Last edited:
my post was concerning E/E chick down, E/E chick down cant show leakage

I love the ghost barring look of that hen, and I beg that you place more pics of her...:p

I´m always sure before I post anything, gold/silver cuckoo are indeed based on ER e allele, BUT the plain old "cuckoo" Maran are based on E..
Thanks :) I think she's really neat looking. I was VERY surprised when I hatched a white chick. Since then, all but one of my chicks from that combination have been white. This is the only one to laying age, and she's proving to be a very reliable layer as well.

I'll be taking some more pictures soon. She's also quite a bit larger than your average RSL. She's probably 1.5 times the size of her mother @ 24 weeks.

try feather sexing first day or so after they hatch. Hold out their wing and examine the feathers. If all feathers on the wing look to be the same length in size throughout, it should be a boy. A girl would have long, short, long..etc pattern. Hope this helps!

try feather sexing first day or so after they hatch. Hold out their wing and examine the feathers. If all feathers on the wing look to be the same length in size throughout, it should be a boy. A girl would have long, short, long..etc pattern. Hope this helps!

No, because feather sexing only works with certain specific crosses. On all other chicks, it does not work.

Also no need, because the original post was a cross that produces sexlinks: barred mother & not-barred father produces not-barred daughters (like their father) and barred sons (like their mother.)

In addition, the original post was almost a month 8 years ago, so it's way too late to do anything in the "first day or so" with this chick. (Edit, because I checked the month/day of the first post and missed the year. So much for telling someone else to check dates. :oops: )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom