Buff Orpington Roo?

billiejw89

Songster
8 Years
May 27, 2015
North central WA
Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I purchased my first chicks 5 weeks ago. They are Buff Orpingtons and I got them at the North 40 store. They were supposed to be pullets. I am having my doubts about one of them now.

I have actually been looking for a rooster, so this wouldn't be a bad thing.

She/he has a bigger, redder comb than the rest and has wattle development. I also noticed everyone but this one has a longer tail. I went to take pictures this morning and witnessed it run at one of the others and fluffed out the feathers on it's neck (4th picture).

What do you guys think?

Hmmmm, I'm on the fence on this one. I have Buffs and my one boy was much redder even at 5 weeks and he had a tail. I had a girl that grew her tail out later than everyone else and I thought for sure she was going to be a boy but she's all girl. But, I only have my Buffs to compare too. And as far as the last pic, girls will do that too so that's not always a definite thing to go by.
I'll be curious to see what others have to say and also see what she/he ends up being :)

Here s/he is in the middle front. You can see the difference. I also see some wattle development in the one in the back...but not as much as the one in front.

Update!
We have a rooster! We finally got to hear his first crows today!

Back
Top Bottom