Buff Orpington-Rooster or Hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MyTDogs, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MyTDogs

MyTDogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All,

I got my chickens 2 weeks ago from a friend and I thought I had 3 hens (that was our plan anyway). But one "hen" is larger and has a larger comb and maybe some longer tail feathers...Here is a link to some pix I took this morning. I haven't had any crowing yet & they were hatched around Dec 4th...

https://plus.google.com/photos/106876049347592451322/albums/5733915835257812545

Thanks for any advice for this newbie!

Cindy in FL

2. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Looks like a hen to me :)

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Pullet!

4. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    [​IMG]Looks Like a Hen to me Cindy .. I am shareing two Photos of my 9 month old Buff who I have seen laying Eggs ; ) no doubt she is a Gal
    [​IMG][​IMG]

feather16 and Mamahenning10 like this.
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Oh dear, not really wanting to be the voice of dissention or anything, but.... I'm not so sure that's a pullet. [​IMG] (talking about the OP's post, not CorrineP's pic's) Those legs/feet, their huge! And I'm not sure but it seems like I see the beginning of saddle feathers and stringy hackle feathers. And maybe even sickle feathers in the tail.

Mamahenning10 likes this.
  6. MyTDogs

MyTDogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Farm girl- that is what I was noticing the HUGE feet-legs. I really hope you & I are wrong...don't really want a roo. I will try & get some pix of the other 2 girls for comparison in a bit if the rain stays away.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they are all very much appreciated. [​IMG]

BTW, when might I expect to see eggs?

Cindy in FL

7. CorinneP

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    I Certainly could be wrong ! I am no expert that is for sure ! I was just looking at the comb and face..

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Oh well, he or she is nearly 19 weeks old, right? You will know for sure before long! I know my buff orps will have me guessing until the last minute. I feel like I change my mind every week.

9. CorinneP

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    I guess an Egg or a Crow will let us know : )

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a boyish looking youngster turn out to be a hen! So yes, hopefully we're wrong! Those legs and even the body shape have me very suspcious of that one though!

I can't remember when my Buff Orp started laying, it was right around 20 weeks I think.

CorrineP, wanted to tell you how pretty your hen is! She looks exactly like the one I had. I just lost her recently and I really miss her. Such pretty, fluffy birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by