Buff Orpington - small chick

anatess

Chirping
Mar 9, 2017
3EBCDA5E-2D1A-4882-ACF0-D66F491E9950.jpeg
533830AB-36A7-443F-8223-33A733A0C31B.jpeg
0CC546E2-371B-4B36-8BF8-57B9059C280F.jpeg
Hi all,
I’m just a bit puzzled by my buff orpingtons. At least that’s what the guy told me they were. I got them by exchanging my 2 6-month-old roosters for 4 baby chicks.

They were all born a day or 2 apart but as shown in the picture, one of them is half the size of the others and her feathers are different. Did I mysteriously take home a chick from another brood? Does this baby look like a buff orpington?

All look like Buffs,but she does look like a slow maturing bird.These are called runts,but is it possible he had different mixed ages?Were there any other chicks?

All look like Buffs,but she does look like a slow maturing bird.These are called runts,but is it possible he had different mixed ages?Were there any other chicks?

There were about 12 chicks in the brooder and they were all 2-3 day old chicks when I got them. I picked 4 of the fattest of the chicks. 4 weeks later, I got 3 big chicks with nice buff feathers and this tiny one that still has the yellow feathers except for the wings. All 4 of these are 4 week old chicks.

There were about 12 chicks in the brooder and they were all 2-3 day old chicks when I got them. I picked 4 of the fattest of the chicks. 4 weeks later, I got 3 big chicks with nice buff feathers and this tiny one that still has the yellow feathers except for the wings. All 4 of these are 4 week old chicks.

Please anatess, I am fairly new here and I also have one runt in a batch of 6 Buff Orpingtons. May I ask where you purchased the chicks? I got mine at a Tractor Supply in Effingham County, Georgia; I think the chicks came from Cackle Hatchery but am not certain. I separated the runt and purchased 4 new chicks to keep her company - the new chicks are growing just fine and the runt is still tiny. Thanks.

Please anatess, I am fairly new here and I also have one runt in a batch of 6 Buff Orpingtons. May I ask where you purchased the chicks? I got mine at a Tractor Supply in Effingham County, Georgia; I think the chicks came from Cackle Hatchery but am not certain. I separated the runt and purchased 4 new chicks to keep her company - the new chicks are growing just fine and the runt is still tiny. Thanks.

I got these from a friend of mine. He has backyard chickens. He lives in a big property outside of the city zoned for roosters so he took my polish/silkie roosters (I had 2) and exchanged them for 4 orpington chicks.

The orpingtons are now 6 weeks old and they're out of the brooder and into the coop. The tiny chicken is still very tiny. It's like he didn't grow at all. Still has the yellow feathers.

I got these from a friend of mine. He has backyard chickens. He lives in a big property outside of the city zoned for roosters so he took my polish/silkie roosters (I had 2) and exchanged them for 4 orpington chicks.

The orpingtons are now 6 weeks old and they're out of the brooder and into the coop. The tiny chicken is still very tiny. It's like he didn't grow at all. Still has the yellow feathers.
Did you post any photos of your six chicks showing size comparison? (I'm still a new egg learning how to navigate this huge site!) Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom