Buff Orpington Stops Laying

Birking-chickens

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Hello everyone. I have 6 backyard hens and a rooster. Everyone is very happy. They get free range of the backyard most days, and a predator proof enclosure/coop to sleep in at night. They have access to fresh food and water 24/7. One of our chickens though, our Buff Orpington, Peaches, who has laid perfectly fine in the past, has stopped laying. She used to have an issue with poopy butt fluff, which caused her to not act like her normal self, but after we cleaned it and put ACV in the water, she started perking up, and now acts completely normal. It’s been about 3 months since she’s been feeling better, but she hasn’t laid any eggs. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Thanks!!!!

How old is she?
Could be because its winter and the days are shorter or stress. Those are what i can think of. Diet wise i couldnt tell you.
Ok thanks, it is winter, but she wasn’t laying before winter. I’m Not sure where she would
Get stress from, because they are living the pampered chicken life.

When did she last lay? Has she molted? A bird of her age is prime for first adult molt this winter, with egg laying resuming once she's back in good condition and daylight hours lengthen long enough to trigger her hormones to lay.

When did she last lay? Has she molted? A bird of her age is prime for first adult molt this winter, with egg laying resuming once she's back in good condition and daylight hours lengthen long enough to trigger her hormones to lay.
It’s been a while since she’s laid, maybe 8 months. She definitely had a molt early this winter, her feathers were everywhere, but she seems to have finished now. Hopefully the longer days coming soon will trigger her hormones.

Back
Top Bottom