*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Hi all! I have 3 Buff Orpingtons in my little flock, 2 pullets and 1 cockerel. They are, let's see, just about 5 months old-- hatched April 19. The rest of the flock consists of two mother hens and four of their 2.5-month-old chicks. I've been keeping chickens for about 5 years, but this BO is my first experience with a rooster. He has not started crowing yet. He is easily dominated by the two adult birds of the flock. At what age would he be considered grown or mature? When can I expect rooster behaviors like crowing, and mating with the hens? At what point will his 'adult personality' emerge? Right now he's a total sweetheart, gentle as anything.

Love the MT in your profile photo!

I gave the girls/boy wazine like we talked about and my biggest bird has had a wet wing since. Any experience with this? Here is photo. Oh LOL please feel free to tell me if boy or girl too LOL-7 weeks

I lifted the wing to see if I could find the source but found nothing but wetness on the lower part. This wing has been wet for 2 days now. It appeared right after treatment

I gave the girls/boy wazine like we talked about and my biggest bird has had a wet wing since. Any experience with this? Here is photo. Oh LOL please feel free to tell me if boy or girl too LOL-7 weeks

I lifted the wing to see if I could find the source but found nothing but wetness on the lower part. This wing has been wet for 2 days now. It appeared right after treatment
This has nothing to do with worm medicine. Check his right eye for swelling , or irritation.

I keep googling this and nothing appears for chickens, only ducks. I think I have a problem but can not find an article anywhere. I am going to post in the disease section and see if anyone can identify

Hi all! I have 3 Buff Orpingtons in my little flock, 2 pullets and 1 cockerel. They are, let's see, just about 5 months old-- hatched April 19. The rest of the flock consists of two mother hens and four of their 2.5-month-old chicks. I've been keeping chickens for about 5 years, but this BO is my first experience with a rooster. He has not started crowing yet. He is easily dominated by the two adult birds of the flock. At what age would he be considered grown or mature? When can I expect rooster behaviors like crowing, and mating with the hens? At what point will his 'adult personality' emerge? Right now he's a total sweetheart, gentle as anything.

In our flock that are all mostly the same age, the single BO rooster exhibited rooster behavior since around the 5th week. He was very dominant, pecked at the rest of the chicks and bullied them into submission. He also started crowing at around 5.5 weeks. No other chicken dared to challenge him. We kept him until around 6 week old when we dispatched him because our neighborhood policy does not cater for roosters. But, he was beautiful and his feathers were impeccably male and full of life.

From what I have read, if roosters are raised by their mothers or are raised with older hens, they tend not to be as nasty when relating with other chickens this early. Somehow, it will push their dominance further down the road until they are physically larger and more capable to dominate the flock.

This has nothing to do with worm medicine. Check his right eye for swelling , or irritation.

The word “bedraggled” was invented, I’m sure, for chickens and turkeys and guinea fowl in a tropical storm.
that is coming from the outside..you might try emergency and diseases..the other feathers look a little damp too..shes regurgitating it or getting too close to wet..make sure no infection in that general area.

Last edited:
I checked the whole area plus eye area over again. The bird seems to be fine but I am very new to chickens. I gave it a bath just now to see if it helps-. I am not sure what else to do. If problem persists will I need to cull? I don't want to-like I said this is my favorite!!!! I checked over my other birds and see no problems at all. The behavior is normal and all else seems to be fine except the wet wings. When giving him/her a bath I was met with no resistance-I think he/she even liked it. Any guesses at all? What is a problem sign other than wet feathers? Dragonlady mentioned eye but I see nothing wrong with it.

I will take full pics-hold on

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom