*Buff Orpington Thread!*

It's coming out of her vent/rectum. Looks like a prolapse of the intestines. I have had many, many, many (you get the picture - since I'm old) years dealing with chickens but have never come across this. The only thing that comes to mind is that she may have strained too hard to pass an egg.

Update on my wet feathered Orp. The feathers are still wet on the bottom but they don't seem to be as bad as they were before. They seem moist but not soaked. I am really hoping it goes away because I had a nightmare about having to cull it. I think my little fluffy fav will be okay!

It's coming out of her vent/rectum.  Looks like a prolapse of the intestines.  I have had many, many, many (you get the picture - since I'm old) years dealing with chickens but have never come across this.  The only thing that comes to mind is that she may have strained too hard to pass an egg.
Oh that's terrible. Did the vet get all the maggots off/out? Yes she could have strained I suppose but that's usually a prolapsed uterus not intestines. How sad. I hope she makes it.

It's coming out of her vent/rectum. Looks like a prolapse of the intestines. I have had many, many, many (you get the picture - since I'm old) years dealing with chickens but have never come across this. The only thing that comes to mind is that she may have strained too hard to pass an egg.
Use LOTS of Preparation H on everything you see, and tuck everything back in gently. How old is this hen? A lot of that end of the intestine will slough, but I've had them come into lay after this with no problems. If there are perforations inside, that will be another matter.

Back
Top Bottom