*Buff Orpington Thread!*

So, I know, or I've read, the male buffs feather out slower, but my chicks will be 6 weeks old Monday, my female BO and my female SS are fully feathered. I want to put them outside, but he's still not feathered out. When do they get fully feathered???
Give them time. But is it chilly enough that they need all their feathers? The advice to wait till they are fully feathered out is because it's often chilly and they need the feathers to stay warm. If it's as warm there as it is here, he'll be fine outside.

So, I know, or I've read, the male buffs feather out slower, but my chicks will be 6 weeks old Monday, my female BO and my female SS are fully feathered. I want to put them outside, but he's still not feathered out. When do they get fully feathered???
Give them time. But is it chilly enough that they need all their feathers? The advice to wait till they are fully feathered out is because it's often chilly and they need the feathers to stay warm. If it's as warm there as it is here, he'll be fine outside.

Its getting mid 60's here at night now, & next week supposed to get down to upper 50's.

Its getting mid 60's here at night now, & next week supposed to get down to upper 50's.
Ah, ok then yes he really should have them all BUT. That is after all at night, when they'll be snuggling together and if it were my orps, they'd be out. But I understand that you don't want to take chances so give him another couple weeks in that case.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

You say there were maggots. Is the hole below her vent? If so, she could have had a buildup of poop there that got sore and attracted maggots. I'm so sorry about her. I am positive you will lose her, but I wish you the best.

x2! I think when the vet advises to euthanize its the best thing for the animal. It is ultimately up to you to decide and I too wish you both the best.

My babies go out at three weeks if the nights are above freezing. Give yours a nice straw bed to snuggle in.

Ah, ok then yes he really should have them all BUT. That is after all at night, when they'll be snuggling together and if it were my orps, they'd be out. But I understand that you don't want to take chances so give him another couple weeks in that case.Hope that wasn't too confusing.
I understand! :) Thanks!
Quote:My babies go out at three weeks if the nights are above freezing. Give yours a nice straw bed to snuggle in.
I can definitely do the straw bed! Ok y'all convinced me, they're outta here!!! Lol At this age, the stink sooo bad! I'd have to clean the brooder 3x's a day to keep the stink away! Once a day is all I can handle.

I understand! :) Thanks!

I can definitely do the straw bed! Ok y'all convinced me, they're outta here!!! Lol At this age, the stink sooo bad! I'd have to clean the brooder 3x's a day to keep the stink away! Once a day is all I can handle.
LOL Sounds like a good plan! They are so much trouble and stinky in the house at that age! Anyway, they do need to be able to get outside and learn how to be chickens so I hope you can give them some supervised outside time too.

I understand! :) Thanks! I can definitely do the straw bed! Ok y'all convinced me, they're outta here!!! Lol At this age, the stink sooo bad! I'd have to clean the brooder 3x's a day to keep the stink away! Once a day is all I can handle.
LOL Sounds like a good plan! They are so much trouble and stinky in the house at that age! Anyway, they do need to be able to get outside and learn how to be chickens so I hope you can give them some supervised outside time too.

Unfortunately, that'll probably be awhile. I'm scheduled for surgery Monday and will be down for a few weeks. I will be able to have someone lock the other chickens out of the run for a few hrs a day, so they can be outside in a safe place though. My older chickens free range all day. What age should I start combining them? The 6 week old chicks r in "the cage", which is inside the coop, but keeps them safe from the big chickens. This will be my 1st time dealing with this, since its only my 2nd set of chicks!!

Here's a pic of my pullet that laid her first egg the other day.

Her name is Sophia Pecktrillo and she is just under 22 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom