*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by andrew6d9, Apr 30, 2011.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Yes I know. I learned it from you remember? I was talking to someone that was giving a 7 year old hen Wazine. BTW my Safeguard finally came in-took FOREVER! I plan to administer tomorrow and hopefully they girls will cooperate and open their mouths!

2. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Work slowly, and put the syringe in the SIDE of their beaks.

1 person likes this.
  3. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    How far in do I put the tip in? Also, how do I get them to open their beaks? I will start around 5pm-in like 4 hours.

4. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I set the bird on a table in my feed room. I put one arm around the standing bird to hold it, and open it's beak with the fingers on that hand while the bird is under my arm.Then I drizzle the wormer in the side of the beak using the other hand.. Easy.

5. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Sounds simple enough. Thank you![​IMG]

6. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Ok so I found this thread and would love to share pics of my Buff girls. They were give to me a month or so ago and they crack me up!! Talk all the time and when they run!! I have looked up pics of them and the LF Orps seem HUGE! Are mine perhaps bantam? Or is it just the way some grow? Mine are supposed to be around 7 and 9 months.

This is Lacy
    [​IMG]
    Dangd if I didn't get started on this and cant find the pics of them on my computer. I will get some up soon.

7. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Hi Amanda I am subscribed to your Big Chicken thread. If they are the same size or at least height of Big Chicken then no they are not bantam. Welcome to the thread and get those pics up!

8. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Ill get some pics up soon of them together. Big Chicken stands up taller then them but I think they are close to the same size at their backs. I have to go to a function with one of my kids tonight so I will get em when I can. And thank you for the info!!

9. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    There is a huge difference in orps depending on breeding. Heritage orps that are bred for showing can be huge. Hatchery and backyard bred orps tend to be smaller.

10. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    This is a hatchery Orp. Hatchery Buff Orps are about 1/3 the size and weight of a Buff Orp bred to the Standard.Their temperaments are different also. Standard bred Orps are generally much friendlier and calmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by