*Buff Orpington Thread!*

This is a hatchery Orp. Hatchery Buff Orps are about 1/3 the size and weight of a Buff Orp bred to the Standard.Their temperaments are different also. Standard bred Orps are generally much friendlier and calmer.
Thank you! I was pretty sure it was hatchery. But im still learning about them. They were given to me so I took em in. They would have nothing to do with me for a few day but settled in well. Lacy lays me 3 eggs in a row and takes a day off lol. Considering the times she is laying though I might get four this week! She is just starting. They are adorable. And Lacy sings as loud as she can when she lays and egg. Funny thing that shows chickens are smart. I have ducklings in the coop. During the day I had a small board up to block them in but the chickens could still go in and out. Well. Ducks figured out how to get out the other day and I had to close the chicken door and leave the human door open with a taller block in the way....Lacy is well. Short.. and I guess she could not get in to lay her egg. I am in the house and I hear her sing the "egg song" so I go out to check...She is not in the coop. She is at the back door. I head to the coop to check and she is right behind me doing her waddle. I look in the coop. No egg...but still she is singing. so I open the chicken door. She quiets down and goes on in. I shut the door and leave her be. Little bit later I hear her singing again...go out. Open the chicken door and she waddles out. Egg in the next box. Im sure she threw in a "Thank you Ma'am" for letting her in. She does this every day now. LOL. The other Orp is younger but I have noticed her face getting much redder.

Thank you! I was pretty sure it was hatchery. But im still learning about them. They were given to me so I took em in. They would have nothing to do with me for a few day but settled in well. Lacy lays me 3 eggs in a row and takes a day off lol. Considering the times she is laying though I might get four this week! She is just starting. They are adorable. And Lacy sings as loud as she can when she lays and egg. Funny thing that shows chickens are smart. I have ducklings in the coop. During the day I had a small board up to block them in but the chickens could still go in and out. Well. Ducks figured out how to get out the other day and I had to close the chicken door and leave the human door open with a taller block in the way....Lacy is well. Short.. and I guess she could not get in to lay her egg. I am in the house and I hear her sing the "egg song" so I go out to check...She is not in the coop. She is at the back door. I head to the coop to check and she is right behind me doing her waddle. I look in the coop. No egg...but still she is singing. so I open the chicken door. She quiets down and goes on in. I shut the door and leave her be. Little bit later I hear her singing again...go out. Open the chicken door and she waddles out. Egg in the next box. Im sure she threw in a "Thank you Ma'am" for letting her in. She does this every day now. LOL. The other Orp is younger but I have noticed her face getting much redder.
Buff Orps are fun, and nice little people in feather coats !

Mine are from a hatchery and have been very good girls! Just this last week my second in command jumps on my lap and lets me pet her for a minute. They run REALLY fast to me when they see me because they know I probably have treats. I usually do have treats because if I don't they look at me expectantly and then mope off. Hatchery are smaller but mine are just as friendly-u will see!

Ok so I found this thread and would love to share pics of my Buff girls. They were give to me a month or so ago and they crack me up!! Talk all the time and when they run!! I have looked up pics of them and the LF Orps seem HUGE! Are mine perhaps bantam? Or is it just the way some grow? Mine are supposed to be around 7 and 9 months.

This is Lacy

Dangd if I didn't get started on this and cant find the pics of them on my computer. I will get some up soon.
Ok is scrounged up a few more pics!

These are nice, healthy hatchery girls,who will never get as large as show/SOP bred buffs.
Yes they seem to have much shorter legs lol. But when they come running up I have to not laugh at them. Its adorable. The girls were headed for the soup pot and because they were not laying yet. I could tell the one was not even old enough. Asked the guy how old there were and he said. 8 and 9 months old. Im thinking more and 7 ish. But it did not take Lacy long to start giving me eggs and im sure her sister Orp will follow soon! They add color to my flock and I hear they tend to go broody witch would be a plus as well.

I set the bird on a table in my feed room. I put one arm around the standing bird to hold it, and open it's beak with the fingers on that hand while the bird is under my arm.Then I drizzle the wormer in the side of the beak using the other hand.. Easy.
HELP! I tried to administer the Safeguard today and I couldn't get them to open their beaks! I tried the pull lightly on the wattle thingy, I tried to manually open them, they wouldn't open them and one of them got really mad and pecked me!!

Back
Top Bottom