*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by andrew6d9, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Use tweezers!!! I use one arm of the tweezers to slide it into the beak. Gets it open enough to get a fingernail and then open. THey are gonna be ******. They just have to deal with it lol. Sometimes you need someone to hold so you can get the beak open

2. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    It's all in knowing how to hold a bird. If your arm is around the bird, you put your hand over the beak, and pry it open. If the bird struggles, you clamp it to your body with your elbow, leaving the hand free to work.I worm all of my really big birds this way, with no hassle.A "I'm the mother; you're the chicken" attitude helps too.

3. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Okay I will try it again, I think I am worried they will get hurt. If ALL else fails I will do the tweezers!

4. Timbuck

Timbuck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    NE Alabama
    Dragonlady, they are from Cackle Hatchery. I plan on infusing some better blood. These are my starting "mutts"

5. Timbuck

Timbuck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    NE Alabama
    Thanks 2buffchicks. I know they are not show quality birds and hope to get a closer to SOP hen or roo to breed in the future. I do not ever plan on showing, but would like to get them close to SOP and enjoy them as a backyard dual purpose flock.

6. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Ok I did the Safeguard treatment. Who would've thought my cockerel Polish would be the easiest?! I had a HARD time with my second in command Lisa-she is a big Buff already and she kept squirming. I finally got her to do it by getting a GOOD grip on her wattle and forcing her to let me do it. She gave me a really nasty look but little does she know- in 10 days we are doing it again. Mwuahahaha!!!

After Lisa the rest were easier because I knew what to do by then!

BTW the one I called Roo is getting really red compared to the others. Maybe almost laying? She is only 14 weeks! I will take a pic hold on.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Good for you ! Never grabbed a wattle to open a chicken's beak in my life, but whatever works for you. You got it done ! Next time will be easier.

8. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    here are pic-why does she look so red when she s only 14 weeks?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    and another[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    She's a normal, healthy color for a pullet her age. I worry about the ones that are pale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by