*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I went through Meyer 2 weeks ago and lost over half my chicks. Not saying they're terrible..but I will not order from them in the winter again.
My 6 out of 15 I have left are doing great, but I wish I would have waited til Spring as well.

From what I know about Meyer they don't have good chicks. Use McMurray or Mt. Healthy

From what I know about Meyer they don't have good chicks. Use McMurray or Mt. Healthy
I have seen nice, healthy Buff Orps from Meyer. They are much smaller than the SOP Buffs that I raise, but they were decent birds for someone who doesn't want the big ones.The Mt. Healthy Orps that I've seen, look more like Comets.

One of my Buffs has gone broody I think....My chickens are 5 months old. They have been laying since Dec.22, 2013. They are extremely well fed and appear to be very healthy and happy. But, yesterday I noticed one stayed in the nesting box all day. In the afternoon when she still had not come out, I checked under her and there were no eggs. I removed her from the nesting box and she didn't even want to stand. I felt to see if I could tell if she is egg bound. Didn't feel anything unusual. Finally, with encouragement, I got her to go outside. She stayed out a little while and pecked around at some scratch and ate some mealworms I threw out, but then rushed back inside to get in the box again. When it was getting late and time for their door to shut for the night, I pulled her out again and got her to walk around. She did and ate some oyster shell and then jumped up on the roosting pole with the others. I don't know if she stayed there, but this morning she was back inside the box again. I removed her and closed off the box, but she just got inside another one. lol I took her out again and made her go outside, but after being out 5 minutes, she rushed back inside and climbed in a box again! What's up with this? Will she stop? I read she might die of malnutrition or dehydration. When I take them some egg and oatmeal later, I will put her outside and see if she eats any. She ate some when I hand fed her yesterday. Kinda worried.

Sounds like you have a broody hen
smile.png

One of my Buffs has gone broody I think....My chickens are 5 months old. They have been laying since Dec.22, 2013. They are extremely well fed and appear to be very healthy and happy. But, yesterday I noticed one stayed in the nesting box all day. In the afternoon when she still had not come out, I checked under her and there were no eggs. I removed her from the nesting box and she didn't even want to stand. I felt to see if I could tell if she is egg bound. Didn't feel anything unusual. Finally, with encouragement, I got her to go outside. She stayed out a little while and pecked around at some scratch and ate some mealworms I threw out, but then rushed back inside to get in the box again. When it was getting late and time for their door to shut for the night, I pulled her out again and got her to walk around. She did and ate some oyster shell and then jumped up on the roosting pole with the others. I don't know if she stayed there, but this morning she was back inside the box again. I removed her and closed off the box, but she just got inside another one. lol I took her out again and made her go outside, but after being out 5 minutes, she rushed back inside and climbed in a box again! What's up with this? Will she stop? I read she might die of malnutrition or dehydration. When I take them some egg and oatmeal later, I will put her outside and see if she eats any. She ate some when I hand fed her yesterday. Kinda worried.

Sounds broody to me also...........She will not allow herself to starve or dehydrate......
When mine go broody, sometimes they are sneaky and do not eat with everyone else much less let me see them eat.
Others will gulp food then run right back to the nest to protect it.
Have fun..........there is nothing more entertaining than a hen with her chicks.............
Can you get a few eggs for her to hatch or maybe you have a rooster.

She is not laying on any eggs. There is nothing to protect, but maybe her instincts are telling her there is. I don't have a rooster. Not planning on any chicks, so getting fertilized eggs is not an option; although it would be cute.

I went down to the coop again earlier and took some egg and oatmeal and some greens. Before I put the bowls in the run, I brought her outside with everyone. I closed the electric door so she couldn't get inside the coop. When they all began eating, she ate too. She also drank some water. She hung around outside distracted for a little while, but then went to the door and wanted in so badly.

I am relieved to hear you say she won't starve or become dehydrated, because she will sneak food. But, how long will this go on? Will she suddenly snap out of it when she realizes she is not hatching any babies? What should I expect?

Thanks for the info. It relieved my mind. I really love these little chickens and want to do what is best for them so they will live long, productive lives.
big_smile.png

I have seen nice, healthy Buff Orps from Meyer. They are much smaller than the SOP Buffs that I raise, but they were decent birds for someone who doesn't want the big ones.The Mt. Healthy Orps that I've seen, look more like Comets.
Yes. I have 2 hens from Meyer almost 6 months old. They are absolutely gorgeous!!! They are not big, like you said, but they are wonderful birds.

So these are the 3 new chickens I got the other day. The more I look at them, the more I'm not sure if they are BOs or not. They seem to have a very different coloring than my others. They haven't laid since they've been here, they seem HIGHLY stressed, so I haven't gotten to see their eggs yet. The poor things stay in the corner of the coop like the picture, ALL day!

So these are the 3 new chickens I got the other day. The more I look at them, the more I'm not sure if they are BOs or not. They seem to have a very different coloring than my others. They haven't laid since they've been here, they seem HIGHLY stressed, so I haven't gotten to see their eggs yet. The poor things stay in the corner of the coop like the picture, ALL day!
And now that I've posted it, I see the pics are AWFUL! Red heat bulbs in the coop makes them look even funnier. I'll have to get better pics later. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom