*Buff Orpington Thread!*

production can last anywhere from 2-8 years (though it does drop quickly after two years of age), but if you're planning to use them primarily as breeding stock, they should make great mamas. Age=wisdom in many cases.

Bella's mother and Daisy were that age when I got them. I think they were great.
Thanks guys! I just brought them home. Have them locked in the cage. They r very sweet birds, but I'm thinking they will be much happier here!! They did not have very good living conditions. Wish I had room for them all!!

Okay, okay, okay!!!!! The hatcheries that advertise that they will send small orders of chicks lie. I've been searching and searching for 5 SOP buff hens and 1 rooster. After I complete my order and put in my zip code they tell me the won't ship less than 15 birds and some say 25. They also want to charge me $50.00 to ship them. This is very frustrating and I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Just wanted 5 more so I can begin to raise them on my own to keep the flock going for eggs. Wanted the larger birds for this but nobody out there will ship that amount. Even all the feed stores here in my area will not order them. Now what?

Okay, okay, okay!!!!!  The hatcheries that advertise that they will send small orders of chicks lie.  I've been searching and searching for 5 SOP buff hens and 1 rooster.  After I complete my order and put in my zip code they tell me the won't ship less than 15 birds and some say 25.  They also want to charge me $50.00 to ship them.  This is very frustrating and I'm about ready to pull my hair out.   Just wanted 5 more so I can begin to raise them on my own to keep the flock going for eggs.  Wanted the larger birds for this but nobody out there will ship that amount.  Even all the feed stores here in my area will not order them.  Now what?
good news first: Not getting them from a hatchery is good because hatchery birds won't be SOP. Bad news: if you have patience, local classifieds like craigslist May be your best bet. I am surprised your feed store front have them in their listings. BOs are usually standard feed store chicks (though still hatchery stock).

That's the problem, no SOP birds at any of the feed stores, just the small BOs. Mine are between 4-5 lbs. max. Eggs range from medium to x-lg sometimes. My hen that laid the big jumbo eggs got killed by dogs, rooster too. The SOP's don't exist in my area. Craigslist doesn't even have any kind of poultry for sale nor does any of the feed stores right now, still too cold. BO's (small ones) won't be available until about April. Up a creek without a paddle.

Patience !!! is definitely a virtue. Wait till Spring. You will not be sorry. I made that mistake once. Now I quarrel with myself to wait. The chicks will be healthier and you will enjoy them more.

That's the problem, no SOP birds at any of the feed stores, just the small BOs.  Mine are between 4-5 lbs. max.  Eggs range from medium to x-lg sometimes.  My hen that laid the big jumbo eggs got killed by dogs, rooster too.  The SOP's don't exist in my area.  Craigslist doesn't even have any kind of poultry for sale nor does any of the feed stores right now, still too cold.  BO's (small ones) won't be available until about April.  Up a creek without a paddle.
have you been to any poultry swaps. They have them everywhere (check on BYC by typing "swap" and your state). 2014 listings may not be up yet, but if you look at 2013, they'll probably be held in the same places.

I'm plan on ordering Buff Orpingtons soon from McMurry . I'm not picky about quality they're just for hobby and eggs. But is there a better place to get them without costing an arm and leg?

Unfortunately you will pay an arm and a leg but McMurray is one of the best hatcheries around .

I went through Meyer 2 weeks ago and lost over half my chicks. Not saying they're terrible..but I will not order from them in the winter again.
My 6 out of 15 I have left are doing great, but I wish I would have waited til Spring as well.

Back
Top Bottom