*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Can anyone help me with the sex of my buff orpingtons? They are 10 weeks old. The one with the redder comb and wattles is also the highest in the pecking order of my little flock of 2 orpingtons and 2 cochins. She/He is very dominant and orders all the others around. The cochins are both female I'm pretty sure, but this one Orpington, on the left in the photos, has got me puzzled...

I would bet the one on the left is a cockerel. Mine looked like that at ten weeks.

Can anyone help me with the sex of my buff orpingtons? They are 10 weeks old. The one with the redder comb and wattles is also the highest in the pecking order of my little flock of 2 orpingtons and 2 cochins. She/He is very dominant and orders all the others around. The cochins are both female I'm pretty sure, but this one Orpington, on the left in the photos, has got me puzzled...

Here is my BO pullet at 11 weeks....

I included a couple of the pics with her in them amongst the others so perhaps you can get a better idea of her comb/wattle color and size. And I am 99% sure (without her being of laying age) that she is a pullet. Hope this helps.

@kekstrom
thank you for the pics -it's nice to have a comparison. Your pullet's comb doesn't look as red or as defined as mine on the left. Although yours has a more defined one than my pullet on the right... p.s. your flock are really beautiful birds

@Mosey2003

Thank you for your quick reply.

It's not just the comb and wattles that have me thinking - it's also that he/she has quickly made her/himself the top of the pecking order. Really quite bossy. If the others so much as flap their wings, he/she comes running over to give a peck. The others are much more laid back...

maybe I just have to wait and see and stop second guessing!

My girls are about the same age. One is exactly like the one on the left. I'm still hoping she's a pullet, but she was first with a comb, feathering, etc. Shes a lot bigger than the other three, highest in pecking order, and eats like a pig! I thought maybe she hatched earlier and so is further along.

it is so difficult to tell, isn't it? I think we just have to wait till the first crowing or the first egg to be 100% sure
smile.png

I think the reason why I like to know roo or not early is that I get attached to my little chickie clan. If one is a roo then we have to rehome him.. and so the longer you have them the more you get attached. Weird right..

They make me happy and calm after a long day at work.. I watch chicken TV..we throw some greens and veggies in there and they paly "chicken football" chasing each other for the best scraps..

I think the reason why I like to know roo or not early is that I get attached to my little chickie clan. If one is a roo then we have to rehome him.. and so the longer you have them the more you get attached. Weird right..

They make me happy and calm after a long day at work.. I watch chicken TV..we throw some greens and veggies in there and they paly "chicken football" chasing each other for the best scraps..
I hear you, dear lady and NO, your perception is not "weird".
Your post sounds like me with one exception-- I get to keep my surprise White Leghorn 9 week old cockerel named Rocky.
I just hope and pray that he's a good boy. Chicken tv rocks after my 7-3 job! Then I am late starting supper and laundry... I bet you know how that is as well
tongue.png

I hear you, dear lady and NO, your perception is not "weird".
Your post sounds like me with one exception-- I get to keep my surprise White Leghorn 9 week old cockerel named Rocky.
I just hope and pray that he's a good boy. Chicken tv rocks after my 7-3 job! Then I am late starting supper and laundry... I bet you know how that is as well
tongue.png

I understand completely what you're saying. It's not weird - it's humane!
Thank God I'm not in your position. Here I can have as many roosters as I like, there are no town council regulations about that sort of thing in my neck of the woods. And I'm lucky enough to have enough land to be able to make a bachelor pad coop and run. And Chicken TV rocks, even when you're at home on the homestead all day, growing your dinner!

PSA: Watch out for the heat. Lost half of my girls (all BO's) yesterday. Granted, they were all 3 years old, and one was already ill (internal laying takes a toll). The other 2 were perfectly healthy AFAIK, just bigger than the others.

Back
Top Bottom