*Buff Orpington Thread!*

My hens are 20 months old. Do I think they are still growing? Not so I can tell but they are in their first molt and do look a lot 'bulkier' as in Fluffier. My rooster died in the spring but his three sons are 9 months old and still growing. I have heard one crow and all are showing an interest in the girls but they are far from done growing.

This is Rocky. Rocky got his name because he got off to a rocky start as an staggered hatch/abandoned egg. I helped the little guy out of his shell and instantly named him. He is about 4-5 months old here and really looks silly, all legs and neck. He is 9 months old now and quite frankly is turning into a tank as was predicted earlier when I posted concerns concerning his extended awkward teen age phase. I can only imagine how big he is going to be when he finishes maturing.

Rocky is in the background right, Chester my Welsummer rooster is on the left and Rose is in the foreground. Rose was supposed to be a pullet and obviously wasn't. I was going to change his name to Pete Rose but my husband convinced me to leave his name simply Rose. Like Rocky, he is still maturing and is half brother to Rocky. The third rooster is Junior or JR for Junior Red He is also a half brother to Rose and Rockyand has matured faster then the other two although he is still gaining size and weight. His sickle feathers, hackle and saddle feathers have come in but he needs to gain body weight.

My hens all started laying at 6 months. The first one went broody at 9 months.

Last edited:
GUYS AND GIRLS I HAVE A QUESTION>

I have recently heard that BO's do not reach full maturity until after 18-24 months? Can anyone confirm this? Can enough people confirm this to convince me?
If they start egg laying at about 5 months, reach peak production at 13-15 months, how can they still be growing to full size at 18 months?

Just need some inputs here. Thanks.

My last batch of BO's seemed pretty normal. They came into lay at 20-22 weeks. I think I had one hold out till 25 weeks. They are now 6 months old. All are laying super regularly.
But they don't look fully grown to me. I suspect they will take several more months to fully fill out. 18 months for fully grown out seems like an awfully long time. I'd say at 9 months mine would be fully filled out.

But then I suppose their are other factors that can determine their grow out patterns. Mine are now just headed into winter and I wonder if that slows things down as opposed to if they were this age in the spring.

My last batch of BO's seemed pretty normal. They came into lay at 20-22 weeks. I think I had one hold out till 25 weeks. They are now 6 months old. All are laying super regularly.
But they don't look fully grown to me. I suspect they will take several more months to fully fill out. 18 months for fully grown out seems like an awfully long time. I'd say at 9 months mine would be fully filled out.

But then I suppose their are other factors that can determine their grow out patterns. Mine are now just headed into winter and I wonder if that slows things down as opposed to if they were this age in the spring.

I think there is a BIG difference between hatchery stock and English Orpingtons from a show breeder.
My two English girls are a little over 6 months and 50% bigger than my hatchery sweeties who are about 14 months old. Nobody is as big as my Jerry Foley SL Wyandotte pullet though! She is a gorgeous monster.

Thank you all of you for the input. Apparently this question has been asking on BYC a few times prior. The answers range from
They are fully grown at 12 months on this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/768371/how-old-is-a-buff-orpington-hen-at-its-full-size
That they are full grown at 10 months based on this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426635/what-age-are-buff-orpingtons-full-grown
And based on a post in this thread it does matter whether they are breeder quality or hatchery bred. THis post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704916/when-do-orpingtons-reach-full-size
contained this quote:

"A breeder quality Orpington rooster will not reach full size until he's almost two years of age. Hatchery birds don't take that long because they rarely reach the size of the breeder birds."

So perhaps that is the difference and why I have been receiving conflicting information in this matter. As a dual-purpose bird I would think that this would be a very important question to figure out.

Now my attention shifts. Now I wonder how do I get "breeder quality" birds? Thanks again!

Wahoo 3rd buff Orpington finally laid today! 26wks yesterday. Been playing in nesting box past wk or so. We're so thrilled. Now 1 buff Orpington left to go! We got 1 BO from the show and she already lays then our other 2 lay since 17 Oct week (24wks old) and now this new one.

Wahoo 3rd buff Orpington finally laid today! 26wks yesterday. Been playing in nesting box past wk or so. We're so thrilled. Now 1 buff Orpington left to go! We got 1 BO from the show and she already lays then our other 2 lay since 17 Oct week (24wks old) and now this new one.

Congratulations!!
wee.gif

It's always a thrill to get those eggs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom