*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
We are still awaiting our first eggs for the season on our large fowl Buff Orpingtons. However Nicole's BOBs are laying good.

Nicole with her Bob...aka Buff Orpington Bantam

47716_king.jpg

47716_nicole_and_jacob.jpg

Quote:
You know I have some of each of your colors. I sold the only hatchery girl so I now have a roo and hen in the buffs. I wonder if you'll be selling again this coming year. I'd also like to know which of yours do you think are the best layers. I figure I can't keep all four colors.

I also was thinking of keeping the Black roosters (I have two) since I can cross them to the Lav hens and BBS hen and get both colors. Is that right? However the Buff roos is very nice in size. Do you know how they dress out?

But I do want good layers,

Rancher

I am hoping to get some buff orpingtons and was wondering if Ideal is a good place to get them. Looking for advice! I am wanting this breed because I have read they are docile, broody, egg layers, and meat birds which is all what I want!

Thanks!

My favorite chicken is the buff orphington. If you don't mind chickens sitting in your lap that is the way to go. I give them an A+ on laying, going broody you name it they have it.

pattyhen

I have had Buff Orpingtons for years but they were always from the hatcheries. I just received 6 eggs from Jim Hall this morning and will be putting them in the incubator tonight. Hoping for a good hatch rate but I never get my hopes up anymore. Shipping these eggs is one big risk. I have three more batches of eggs ordered that I haven't received yet and after that, I will not be ordering any more eggs to have shipped in. I will have enough of my own birds/breeds to hatch my own eggs when I need them. WOW, that will be nice.
Jim

My favorite chicken is the buff orphington. If you don't mind chickens sitting in your lap that is the way to go. I give them an A+ on laying, going broody you name it they have it.

pattyhen

It is not advised to allow our Buff Orpingtons to sit in your lap! Jacob got his lap squished by Gent! (See our photo above).
It is not advised to allow our Buff Orpingtons to sit in your lap! Jacob got his lap squished by Gent! (See our photo above).

I have had Buff Orpingtons for years but they were always from the hatcheries. I just received 6 eggs from Jim Hall this morning and will be putting them in the incubator tonight. Hoping for a good hatch rate but I never get my hopes up anymore. Shipping these eggs is one big risk. I have three more batches of eggs ordered that I haven't received yet and after that, I will not be ordering any more eggs to have shipped in. I will have enough of my own birds/breeds to hatch my own eggs when I need them. WOW, that will be nice.
Jim

Glad they arrived safely! Hoping you get a great hatch. We also set some Buff Orpingtons last night. We can see how the % is between shipped and non-shipped eggs. One of the sires of your eggs is in the photo above with jacob.

Hi All,
I am relatively new to chickens, got my first birds 6/11, 15 Buff Orps and not a cockerel in the bunch, go figure! Was hoping to make a very hard cull for breeding in March as most of these hatchery girls, while GREAT at egg laying are fine boned, skinny legged and breast meat deficient... and begin my own breeding program towards improving them to actually be the dual purpose birds they are supposed to be.

Kinda hard to do with no rooster...

So until I get my hands on a nice, stocky, meaty boy I'm in Orpington Limbo. But here are some pics from this summer of my birds, which, (while I know they would happily feast upon me till my death if I let them), I really enjoy hanging out with anyway, haha!

Hangin' out last summer

Chickens & Cats; some want in and some want out...

Pay no attention to the Faverolle!

You probably ordered pullets and if so most of the hatcheries that I have dealt with in the past are really good at sexing them. I bought 25 Buff Orpington, 25 Black Sex Links and 25 Barred Rock 4 years ago and the only one that had roosters were the Barred Rocks, 2 of them were cockerels. Another year I bought 20 RIR, 15 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 10 White Rocks. I told them to send me 1 each cockerel of the SLW and RIR and that is all the cockerels I ended up with. If you would have told them that you wanted a roo, they would have made sure that there was one in there. lol

Glad they arrived safely! Hoping you get a great hatch. We also set some Buff Orpingtons last night. We can see how the % is between shipped and non-shipped eggs. One of the sires of your eggs is in the photo above with jacob.
Sure am hoping for a roo like that one Jim. He sure is one big fella.

Back
Top Bottom