*Buff Orpington Thread!*

We have 6 buff orpington hens. We JUST sold our first doz. eggs! Hubby and I made and painted a sign together that we are pretty proud of. We put it out by the road with a table and an old covered iron pot. A small sign on the table says FRESH FREE RANGE EGGS, $5. DOZ. LEAVE MONEY IN POT. We have a cooler that looks like a basket. We put the eggs in containers we've saved, and tied jute string around each with a sprig of fresh herbs from our garden. Here are some photos!

sign_paint_covershot.jpg

spencers_eggs1.jpg

eggsign2.jpg

eggsforsale1.jpg painting1.jpg

I had someone deliver a package, they saw the chickens and asked to buy eggs we offered 30 for 10 dollars a steal in our mind and they refused saying the store was cheaper.... ummm... fine than they deserve to eat those kinds of "eggs"!

Love your sign!

Thanks so much to you all for the compliments on the sign. Hubby is a talented artist. We wanted a 'folky' hen, and I think he captured our buffs perfectly!
We had a lot of fun together making it!
I so agree with Meetthebubus---Can't believe some people! Eggs in the store here are around or over $3. a doz. and meh, who knows how old they are? Ours don't look or taste anything like store eggs! In fact it was a real revelation the first time I tasted our own fresh eggs!
---If they can't pay $5. for fresh, free range eggs, go to the store and eat mediocre ones at best!

IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
Can anyone tell me if something's wrong with this B/O of mine please?

It's quite hot today and she seems to be walking with her wings a bit opened and lower than usual. Is it because of the heat? I picked her up and felt her wings but she didn't seem to be bothered.

Also her butt seems to have lost quite a bit of its feathers. Is this normal?

She's my soft layer :( and she's been broody twice this year.

quite hot today and she seems to be walking with her wings a bit opened and lower than usual. Is it because of the heat?
Also her butt seems to have lost quite a bit of its feathers. Is this normal?
She's my soft layer :( and she's been broody twice this year.

It sound like she is trying to stay cool - they will spread their wings out and sometimes pant as well when hot.

If she's been broody, she may be going for it again. One of mine is always 1/2broody in summer- she walks around with her wings spread most of the day, everyday:rolleyes:

Feather loss on the bum....could be from feather picking, but again...she's been broody twice, so could just be they have been rubbed off from setting.

Watch to see that she is drinking, provide cool water and some shade to see how she does.

It sound like she is trying to stay cool - they will spread their wings out and sometimes pant as well when hot.

If she's been broody, she may be going for it again. One of mine is always 1/2broody in summer- she walks around with her wings spread most of the day, everyday:rolleyes:

Feather loss on the bum....could be from feather picking, but again...she's been broody twice, so could just be they have been rubbed off from setting.

Watch to see that she is drinking, provide cool water and some shade to see how she does.

Oh thanks. Yep I saw her panting a while ago but they have 2 bowls out and had some yummy water melons :p

She is super stubborn I think you might be right about the broody feeling I'll have to keep an eye on her

Back
Top Bottom