*Buff Orpington Thread!*

We have six chickens, two of which are Buff Orpingtons.

I was least excited about those, because I thought they'd be boring looking.

The thing I love about them is their personalities! They are SO SWEET! They're more like pets than any of the other chickens. They engage well, and aren't skittish or aggressive. They don't mind being held.

When I call, they are the first to come, and they're content to just hang out with me. It's really cool. I mean, I love my other chickens, but the BOs are my faves (don't tell the others).

We have six chickens, two of which are Buff Orpingtons.

I was least excited about those, because I thought they'd be boring looking.

The thing I love about them is their personalities! They are SO SWEET! They're more like pets than any of the other chickens. They engage well, and aren't skittish or aggressive. They don't mind being held.

When I call, they are the first to come, and they're content to just hang out with me. It's really cool. I mean, I love my other chickens, but the BOs are my faves (don't tell the others).
In my vocabulary there is no such thing as a "boring chicken".

To be fair, I said 'boring looking'. :) BOs are plainer in appearance than, say, a Golden Wyandotte. But their personalities are so much better. (And all the chickens have great personalities!)

My BOs are so handsome. :love
IMG_20170715_181237.jpg

Also, to be fair, I said "thought" they'd be boring looking. Never having had chickens before, picking out chicks, looking at a blurry photo of what they might look like

NOW I think they're gorgeous. :D

Some updates:

Since there wasn't enough roosting space I added a few more and longer roosts.
IMG_2059.JPG

Also, I separated my hen that was getting pecked at the vent, cleaned her up and used some hemaroid cream (don't know if it was needed) but thought it couldn't do bad if it was a prolapsed vent. Poor things butt is almost clear of all feathers :(
IMG_2056.JPG
Hoping she gets better soon. She's my last BO.
View attachment 1083943

Some updates:

Since there wasn't enough roosting space I added a few more and longer roosts.
View attachment 1083936

Also, I separated my hen that was getting pecked at the vent, cleaned her up and used some hemaroid cream (don't know if it was needed) but thought it couldn't do bad if it was a prolapsed vent. Poor things butt is almost clear of all feathers :(
View attachment 1083940
Hoping she gets better soon. She's my last BO.
View attachment 1083943

Did the prolapse go back in?

It looked like it.
She still gets pecked a lot though. Last night in the roost my light Sussex kept pecking her in the head but it's my black rock that chases her around pecking her vent. I'm not sure if that's because if the red scab or that she just wants to bully.

You may want to recheck that vent to see that the prolapse has gone back in. Pecking of the vent can cause serious damage to the cloaca and introduce infection. If she just has some red places that are attractive for picking, then try putting some Blu Kote on it.

If the black rock continues to harass her, then she may need a time out - cage her separately for a couple of days to see if she will calm down.

You may want to recheck that vent to see that the prolapse has gone back in. Pecking of the vent can cause serious damage to the cloaca and introduce infection. If she just has some red places that are attractive for picking, then try putting some Blu Kote on it.

If the black rock continues to harass her, then she may need a time out - cage her separately for a couple of days to see if she will calm down.

I was thinking of caging her too to teach her a lesson. I can only separate in the pen so need to figure out how to keep them separate at night times :/. Doesn't make it easier that these chickens are more stubborn than myself lol

Back
Top Bottom