*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
I have 2 BOs and so far I am disappointed. :( With the original 2 I started out with, one was very sweet at first and the second ended up being a boy. So we exchanged the boy for what I'm thinking might be another boy. Well my girl is now 2 weeks and is a big bully to my Cochins and austrolorp. If they come to fast at her or try to fly randomly she will immediately get an attitude and reenforce to the that she is in charge. She is a little bigger than the rest but she seems to be the most flighty and aggressive. Well she's kind of bi polar, I'm not sure what to think of her because sometimes I can hold her and she will just lay down as if she's saying "ok yes you can pet me now" but other times ill go to get her and she'll get in defense mode. Did anyone else have their buff start out this way but eventually turned out to be sweet?
I'm upset my 2nd "female" wants nothing to do with me. And I haven't been able to get attached to her/him. I'm debating if I should exchange her and get another cochin. But I'm also starting to not like my girl buff :( I was so excited when I found someone who breed these, but now they are slowly loosing cool points :lol:

I'm not meaning to knock the breed, but I've come here to see if anyone else had these problems or if I'm just over reacting :p I just don't want to get attached to them if they are going to turn out mean anyways. Or maybe this is just a phase??

Johnn, that is just precious! I don't know how you get such great pictures on your phone but you must spend a lot of time with them to be able to do that.

As for feather sexing. I don't know about the other breeds but I am certain that ordinarily you cannot feather sex Buff Orpingtons. Hatcheries do often mix breeds though. And hatchery almost anything is crossed with Leghorns to make them lay better. So it's quite possible that they feather sex theirs because they are crossed. There is a whole complicated reason why its' not possible with breeder raised birds. But ones from a hatchery - possibly so.
i think john is very gifted..his timing and attention is amazing..

I have 2 BOs and so far I am disappointed.
sad.png
With the original 2 I started out with, one was very sweet at first and the second ended up being a boy. So we exchanged the boy for what I'm thinking might be another boy. Well my girl is now 2 weeks and is a big bully to my Cochins and austrolorp. If they come to fast at her or try to fly randomly she will immediately get an attitude and reenforce to the that she is in charge. She is a little bigger than the rest but she seems to be the most flighty and aggressive. Well she's kind of bi polar, I'm not sure what to think of her because sometimes I can hold her and she will just lay down as if she's saying "ok yes you can pet me now" but other times ill go to get her and she'll get in defense mode. Did anyone else have their buff start out this way but eventually turned out to be sweet?
I'm upset my 2nd "female" wants nothing to do with me. And I haven't been able to get attached to her/him. I'm debating if I should exchange her and get another cochin. But I'm also starting to not like my girl buff
sad.png
I was so excited when I found someone who breed these, but now they are slowly loosing cool points
lol.png

I'm not meaning to knock the breed, but I've come here to see if anyone else had these problems or if I'm just over reacting
tongue.png
I just don't want to get attached to them if they are going to turn out mean anyways. Or maybe this is just a phase??
If these are hatchery birds which have crossed with other breeds; yes they do sometimes become agressive, particularly the roos. Not so for the pure bred Orps you buy from a real breeder who breeds to the SOP, not just a propagator of yet more hatchery stock.Buff Orps are known for their quiet dispositions. They are jolly birds who get along. Photos ?

Hello everyone! My name is Genelda and I am from TN. I just picked up my first six Buff Orpingtons today at the post office shipped to me from ReniesPeeps. I am new to Buffs but not new to Orpingtons! They are my favorite breed. I love all the feathers! The kids call them little buff balls! Look at me I am up at 3am in the morning checking on them.
smile.png

(Black smudges on the head are to mark the four pure english from the splits.)

Mine looked like that for a couple weeks, except with pink marks LOL! They are just the best looking birds.you will love them...Hope you keep us posted on thier development.. I had a couple of babies out in the grass yesterday ..they would be 75% english...I use cages for a little while so that neighbor cats and assorted preying animals cant get them.. the white one is nicnamed chow chow just because every time we see her-or him, the face is chewing.. chow is a bit younger than the others..

Last edited:
Mine looked like that for a couple weeks, except with pink marks LOL! They are just the best looking birds.you will love them...Hope you keep us posted on thier development.. I had a couple of babies out in the grass yesterday ..they would be 75% english...I use cages for a little while so that neighbor cats and assorted preying animals cant get them.. the white one is nicnamed chow chow just because every time we see her-or him, the face is chewing.. chow is a bit younger than the others

I see a very large pair of feet in this photo Lynne ! So super that Orps are nice to other little ones. Love the White snuggling up to her bigger Buff buddies.

Mine looked like that for a couple weeks, except with pink marks LOL! They are just the best looking birds.you will love them...Hope you keep us posted on thier development.. I had a couple of babies out in the grass yesterday ..they would be 75% english...I use cages for a little while so that neighbor cats and assorted preying animals cant get them.. the white one is nicnamed chow chow just because every time we see her-or him, the face is chewing.. chow is a bit younger than the others..

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom