*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
I just wanting to pop in and say HI! We are new to chickens and we are raising a miss-match of chicks. We started with 3 BO but we are now down to one. During the colder spring months, when they were just a week or 2 old, the kittens got into the coop and curled up with the chicks under the heat lamp, didn't eat any but managed to smother my other 2 BOs :( So we now have 1, she is named Biscuit and we love her personality. She will be my daughter's 4H project I think. She seems like a quiet bird and has no problem being handled at almost 5 weeks old.

Ok. So I watched this video about feather sexing chicks at a day (or 2) old.
. Then I wrote to McMurray's Hatchery and asked them what breeds they used feather sexing on. This is the response I got from them.

Dear Becky

The following breeds may be feather sexed:

Araucana
Buff Orpington
Rhode Island
Black Giant
Dark Cornish
Silver Laced Wyandotte
White Rock,
Buff Minorca
Turkens
Black Minorca
Single Comb Leghorn
Black Australorp
New Hampshire
Pearl Whites

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely,
Murray McMurray Hatchery

So, watch the video and see how it is done. They show some great photos that you can learn from! Hope this helps us all!

Johnn, that is just precious! I don't know how you get such great pictures on your phone but you must spend a lot of time with them to be able to do that.

As for feather sexing. I don't know about the other breeds but I am certain that ordinarily you cannot feather sex Buff Orpingtons. Hatcheries do often mix breeds though. And hatchery almost anything is crossed with Leghorns to make them lay better. So it's quite possible that they feather sex theirs because they are crossed. There is a whole complicated reason why its' not possible with breeder raised birds. But ones from a hatchery - possibly so.

Hi Everyone! I need some advice... and where better to get some than the BO thread!! ???? I have a Buff Orpington hen who is about to turn 3.... she has decided to talk her way through the mornings...and sometimes into the afternoon. Normally this would be fine for me.... their little chatter is rather endearing. Unfortunately, her talking has turned into more of a raspy yelling nightmare. I think she is channeling her inner jungle fowl! I am afraid that she will ruin my abilities to have a backyard flock as we are limited in flock size, sex and noise.... My neighbors haven't complained yet, but I'm sure if it is getting on my nerves it is surely affecting them and their sleep patterns....she will sometimes start in at 6:00 am..... Any ideas? Her sister doesn't make that much racket and neither does my Black Astralorp. I may have to find her a new home which is sad 'cause she is an excellent egg layer! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom