*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
Ok, I have been reading through this, as I am interested in the buff orpingtons. I will not be really breeding but I want a nice buff or too in my laying flock. Who should I order from? I do not like the look of the hatchery birds at all. I feel they do not really represent the breed well. I would like to order eggs later this spring. Who should I contact. I want a large fluffy layer. Thanks heaps.

A bit concerned, I just bought my first two chicks and they are supposed to be buff orpington pullets. There's no way these babies are six weeks old and one is darker than the other. Living in town I can't have a rooster. Is it possible to tell sex when just a few days old?

Well, TSC should be known as the unintentional perpetrators of flock diversity. My two Buffs were sold to me as Red Sex Link Pullets. It quickly became apparent that they were in fact Buff Orpingtons and one of them was a rather amorous rooster.
barnie.gif
But the hen is so sweet that I cannot wait until she goes broody in hopes of getting another generation of Buffs from her!
jumpy.gif

This is such a noob question. Yes, I am new to the chickens. I've been thinking about getting some Buff Orpingtons hens and a rooster. I've also thought about getting some Leghorn for the white eggs. I'm assuming the BO Rooser will mate with the Leghorn hen if I keep them in a Coop /run together. If that's the case, I would have mixed breed chicks. Am I correct? I've been trying to explain this to someone today.

Sorry for this being a dumb question.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok! Finally managed to get a couple photos of the little buff babies. 2 of them look like this - super fluffy with a lot of light and airy feathers down the middle of the back and tail. I'm not sure if the last photo of the bird on the feeder is the same bird or the other one with the fluffy butt, but these two are really noticeably different than the others.

LL

The other 4 look like this. Stubby little turned up tail feathers. I'm hoping that means I have two boys and four girls.... or maybe they are just from different lines and feathering out differently? Could it just be that the four small feathered birds were the last to hatch over the 2 1/2 day hatching period? None of them really have much of a comb yet.

Or maybe I just think they don't have big combs because of this little guy. (or girl, but even being a total newb I really think this one is a roo)

Back
Top Bottom