*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Well you guys will be getting pictures soon because mine are getting bigger and I am still not quite confident on all their genders. I do have ONE beautiful buff that really stands out. I have always noticed a huge difference and originally assumed it was a male, but now i am not so sure. If it turns out to be a girl then I think it will breed beautifully. My others just don't compare to it.
I still have my original hatchery hens and one of those stands out like you say. Somehow she got some of the right stuff in her. Maybe you got lucky!

Okay one thing i have noticed about all of your replies are that for some reason you all think its a bad thing to be a hacherie bird, there isnt any thing wrong with having them they still make very good pets.

Okay one thing i have noticed about all of your replies are that for some reason you all think its a bad thing to be a hacherie bird, there isnt any thing wrong with having them they still make very good pets.
Hatchery birds ARE good birds. You're right and I think everyone here would agree with that. The "slams" against them are merely the comparison of hatchery vs well bred specimens not only is appearance but in temperament as well.

I have nothing against hatchery birds, they are great for laying and as pets but in my opinion hey should not really be called buff orpingtons. I don't want to turn this into a debate but that is just my opinion on their type. I would find it very interesting if someone did find out how much Orpington is actually in them.

Hatchery males can be nasty. I have never encountered this in a SOP bred male. I have a scar on my left calf from a hatchery male ,owned by a friend, who got me in a surprise attack.He put an 1 1/2 deep hole in my leg with his spur, that took months to heal.Had I not grabbed him, he would have done more damage. I would not want a bird like that anywhere near children.

Need some info regarding breathing problems in chickens. Picked up one of my chickens today and she seemed to be having trouble breathing through her nose. She had her mouth open and was breathing a little hard. Don' know whether it could be a problem or she was overly excited. She seems to be doing fine otherwise and none of the others seem to be having this problem. Still need to know how to post pictures to this forum. If I click the picture icon on this reply page it doesn't do anything but have a pop-up that says please wait and there's a bar that shows something loading but it never finishes.

Back
Top Bottom