*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Beautiful pictures! I'm actually feeling really jealous at the moment, since Buff Orps seem to be so hard to source here and I really want some. : ( However, I'm finding something puzzling; here on BYC and a lot of other blogs etc they are reputed to be 'good layers', which contradicts what a lot of books.info sites say about them being poor layers ... what are everyone's experiences on this? I'm confused '~' And do they really make as good pets as they are reputed to be? Plus are they low-maintenance to keep (unlike feathered-legged chickens)?

Sorry I sound so jumbled, it's just that I read a lot of contrasting things about BO's !
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. I'm actually feeling really jealous at the moment, since Buff Orps seem to be so hard to source here and I really want some. : ( However, I'm finding something puzzling; here on BYC and a lot of other blogs etc they are reputed to be 'good layers', which contradicts what a lot of books.info sites say about them being poor layers ... what are everyone's experiences on this? I'm confused '~'
I have both English and American Buff Orps. The US birds will lay like crazy for a long time. The English girls lay about 20-30 eggs, and go broody. The huge amount of Cochin blood that has been infused into the English Orps is responsible.. My Eng x US girls lay well too, and certainly much better than than my 100% English.

I have a question for you DRAGONLADY-is there a trick to getting their feathers and overall body bigger and broader? I know you said to deworm-still waiting to get it in from the feed store. But other than that is there any way for my hatcheries to look decent a few generations from now? I don't want ugly birds, which is why I chose buff orps to breed, because they are beautiful.

I have a question for you DRAGONLADY-is there a trick to getting their feathers and overall body bigger and broader? I know you said to deworm-still waiting to get it in from the feed store. But other than that is there any way for my hatcheries to look decent a few generations from now? I don't want ugly birds, which is why I chose buff orps to breed, because they are beautiful.
Body type and good feathering must be bred into a line. You might consider getting a oood cockerel to breed to your girls. Feeding a good, high protein diet helps feathering too, as does proper worming.

Body type and good feathering must be bred into a line. You might consider getting a oood cockerel to breed to your girls. Feeding a good, high protein diet helps feathering too, as does proper worming.
besides the medicated feed I give them cabbage and cheese and freeze dried meal worms, plus anything else I have around. The meal worms are high in protein. Do you ship? I am not in need of a rooster at the moment but if I were I would like to buy from you. As of right now I do have a beautiful one-I think maybe roo, but I am not sure the others will turn out as lovely.

besides the medicated feed I give them cabbage and cheese and freeze dried meal worms, plus anything else I have around. The meal worms are high in protein. Do you ship? I am not in need of a rooster at the moment but if I were I would like to buy from you. As of right now I do have a beautiful one-I think maybe roo, but I am not sure the others will turn out as lovely.
I do ship. Here's my cock bird, Monty at 12 1/2 months old. He is siring winning birds.

I have both English and American Buff Orps. The US birds will lay like crazy for a long time. The English girls lay about 20-30 eggs, and go broody. The huge amount of Cochin blood that has been infused into the English Orps is responsible.. My Eng x US girls lay well too, and certainly much better than than my 100% English.
Hi!

Thanks for the reply - that clears it up. I had no idea there were two separate varieties of BO's! It makes sense now - the good reviews I normally read of BO's usually come from US sites, English sites normally talk of the Buff Orp as a good-tempered, albeit poor-laying chicken. Oh, and is there a difference in temperament between the English and the US BO's?

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks for the reply - that clears it up. I had no idea there were two separate varieties of BO's! It makes sense now - the good reviews I normally read of BO's usually come from US sites, English sites normally talk of the Buff Orp as a good-tempered, albeit poor-laying chicken. Oh, and is there a difference in temperament between the English and the US BO's?
There is a huge difference between good BOs raised to the standard of either country, and hatchery buffs. Hatchery birds have unfortunately often been crossed with other breeds, andare not as gentle, especially the cock birds.They are often MUCH smaller also.

There is a huge difference between good BOs raised to the standard of either country, and hatchery buffs. Hatchery birds have unfortunately often been crossed with other breeds, andare not as gentle, especially the cock birds.They are often MUCH smaller also.
Absolutely! I still have a few of my old hatchery girls, and up next to the good ones, they are TINY. Even my "Big Girl," the biggest hatchery hen, is smaller than the breeder birds.

Back
Top Bottom