1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by andrew6d9, Apr 30, 2011.

1. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I'd keep Big Boy. He has a better comb, and is a better color. He needs much more depth of fore chest though.

2. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    First day from the outside looking in. Aphrodite & Artemus with their 5 new little friends!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    So, I have a question. Do BO's sound different?? Today they were so excited to be out spreading their wings, they were rather noisy. They sound different than my other chickens, almost like they're horse or have a dry throat. Lol But seriously, is that normal?

4. PegasusAngel

PegasusAngel New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    Hey guys, I'm new here but I started my flock out with buffs and I've fallen in love. If we ever decide to extend our flock once more I will want to get Orpingtons. They're great. Generally kind and very friendly. We had 6 chicks and ended up with three roosters. So once we got rid of the two meanest(unfortunately the meanest was the best looking) we got some bantam/americana crosses from a lady I was helping out who had WAY too many chickens. Love that I found this thread!

5. chickenforlife

chickenforlife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    how long after my buffs start breeding will i see baby chicks or even eggs ?

6. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Here are 2 girls sired by 2 different English Orp cock birds. The pullet on the left is 8 months old, sired by Monty. The pullet on the right is 5 months old, and sired by Max, Monty's brother, who is more extreme in type. They are both out of SOP hens, and both showing a bit of "rooster wear".

[​IMG]

7. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ

EXCELLENT comparison for differences in sire type despite being 3 months apart in age too. Both are lovely all around and notice the nice stiff main tails too!!

8. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I have to say, my 2nd generation hatchery orp looks pitiful in comparison. She is much blonder and not nearly as full bodied.

9. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina

Very nice, thedragonlady !!!

10. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Thank you !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by