*Buff Orpington Thread!*

It's comb is much bigger and 'redder' than both my Buff Orps at 15 weeks, though besides that it does look like a pullet

Ahem, that is a COCKEREL, without a doubt. No 10 week old Orp pullet has a comb like that. Trust me on this one. My 6 year old hen doesn't have a comb that large.

What do you mean "besides that"? I'm assuming you mean the sex characteristics other than the comb? He won't have saddle feathers for about another month or so. And no spurs until close to 10 months to a year old.

Last edited:
I don't currently have a Buff Orpington cockerel that age, but I do have a Barred Rock male who is 15 weeks old. His saddle feathers are just now showing, but they are not long enough to hang over the sides. They don't show that trait until around 14-16 weeks old, depending on how fast they are maturing, but never at 10 weeks old on a Buff Orpington or other large fowl breeds. If you part the back feathers to look underneath, you may see the beginnings of the shiny, skinny, pointy male saddle feathers, but it may still be a tad soon.

Here is my 15 week old cockerel who is just now getting his iridescent saddle feathers coming in starting at about the middle of the back. So your 10 week old is too young for those. I used to raise the Blue Orps, but haven't had youngsters in a long time. Might be able to find pics of one that age if I search my files.

Last edited:
Okay found one of my Suede at about 10-11 weeks old. It's easier to see saddles on the blues because they are super shiny and just seem to show up better against the body feathers over the Buff color. Just look in the center mid-back for that darker, shiny area of his saddles coming in. But on the Buff in question, I don't even need those to know that is a cockerel at 10 weeks old.

((sure miss the big guy))

Last edited:
I am interested in possibly buying one of these birds. How many eggs to they lay weekly and what color? Also, are they friendly and personable. I am looking for a good family pet as well as egg layer. One that will be good for the kids to love on.

Not sure on how many eggs they lay weekly, but a couple of my orps just started laying. Right now, one in particular is giving 1 egg every day. A couple of the others seem to be every other day.

They are by far a very fun breed. I have several that are super friendly and enjoy being held and scratched. They come running looking for treats, and are pretty vocal. :)

I have 6 different breeds of 7 week old chicks, my Buff Orpingtons are the sweetest and cuddliest of them all by far. Here is my favorite one, every single time I go out to the run she hops on my lap. :)

Hi Y'all.. I have five Buff Orpingtons... and I just have a question about leg color. Four of the orpingtons have whiteish legs and one has yellow legs... about the same color as my Welsummers legs! Just curious if it's possible that it is a different breed that got mixed in? It looks like the other orpingtons, except for those legs... and it seems a little lighter built, but I may have been imagining that. I'm not an expert at all on chicken breed shapes and identification.

Back
Top Bottom