*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I had a big "weigh-in" for my flock on Saturday (New Year's Eve) and I think that some of my hens are a little puny.
Tell me what you think. Again these were all hatched at the same time - week of July 18th so they are now 23.5 weeks old at
weigh-in. Listed in decreasing order by weight.

Rooster 1 - (Aragorn) - 6lbs. 1oz.
Rooster 2 - 5lbs. 1oz.
Hen 1 - (Arwen) - 4 lbs. 0oz.
Hen 2 - 3 lbs. 9 oz.
Hen 3 - (Agnus) = 3 lbs. 6 oz.
Hen 4 - (Acorn) - 3 lbs. 4 oz.
Hen 5 - 3 lbs. 4 oz.
Hen 6 - 3 lbs. 2 oz.
Hen 7 - 2 lbs. 9 oz.

The males seem about as I expected them to be but the females are a bit smaller than I expected - even at this age. I need some seed back if any one else has weighed their chickens.
Thanks

Are they all Buff Orpingtons?
Any photos?
And...what are you feeding them?

Success! The light seemed to have worked, or maybe it was the ivermectin, or getting rid of the extra roosters, whatever, I don't care. Getting 3-4 eggs a day now, from 15 hens. That's way better than before. They are small eggs, guessing that's because they had barely started laying when they stopped! I only increased their "daylight" to 12 hours, so the thought is it will increase as the days start getting longer on the sunset end. I hope so, since I need to start incubating on March 1st!

Success! The light seemed to have worked, or maybe it was the ivermectin, or getting rid of the extra roosters, whatever, I don't care. Getting 3-4 eggs a day now, from 15 hens. That's way better than before. They are small eggs, guessing that's because they had barely started laying when they stopped! I only increased their "daylight" to 12 hours, so the thought is it will increase as the days start getting longer on the sunset end. I hope so, since I need to start incubating on March 1st!

I'm glad you are seeing improvement!

Got my first egg from one of my Buffs today!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
woot.gif

@Wyorp Rock She's 2 we've had her for about 2 years and my photos aren't working but I'll keep trying

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom